cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit card should be my next one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit card should be my next one?

I currently have Capital One, Citi DC, and Discover IT card. According to Discover my FIco is 708. Which credit card should I apply for? Most of my purchases are like gas, grocery, dining, and cell phone bill ect... Did Sallie Mae CC discontinue or what?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Which credit card should be my next one?

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have Capital One, Citi DC, and Discover IT card. According to Discover my FIco is 708. Which credit card should I apply for? Most of my purchases are like gas, grocery, dining, and cell phone bill ect... Did Sallie Mae CC discontinue or what?

Yes, you can no longer apply for the Sallie Mae Rewards MasterCard.

Check this thread for possible cards: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe the BCE to cover your normal grocery expenses? why do you feel like you need one? jw
Message 4 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OP, I remember you used to have a Sallie. Since you closed it, what has changed that you would want it again, anyway? Regardless, it's no longer available.

It depends how much you want to spread your spend around but quite honestly, using a DC and a Discover is a totally solid cash back plan with a minimal amount of cards. Any gains you get from adding more cards will not likely be huge unless you are spending a lot on a certain thing. For example, people recommend AARP for a dining card, but it's only an extra 1% over your Double Cash, which is not hugely significant absent a large dining spend. Same with an Amex BCE -- you're getting an extra 1% on groceries, spread across to a different program, with its own redemption minimum.

The point of what I'm saying is that before choosing another card you need to run the numbers, determine if the rewards will really be meaningful, and go from there. I think you have a perfectly solid foundation. Just don't get caught up in marketing/reward psychology. I was very excited to get my cash+ because of the 5% fast food, but it hasn't added up or blown me away as much as I thought it might, and that's an extra 3% over my double cash!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

KDM i haven't seen any of your cards excite you lol.
Message 6 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think its because my monthly spend is just not that much, so the rewards dont add up that fast. Obviously YMMV based on spend.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol i am in your boat too - low monthly spend. maybe $1,100-1,200?
Message 8 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Right, and with that kind of spend, an extra 1 percent on one category just won't add up to much.

However, we need to know how much OP spends per month. I just am pointing out that its not always prudent to spread spend across several cards.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep i agree with that fo sho.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.