cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is harder to get, Citi Dividend or Thank You?

tag
parkman
Regular Contributor

Which is harder to get, Citi Dividend or Thank You?

Here's the situation: I'm an AU on my wife's two Citi accounts. One is a Citi Thank You, the other is a Diamond Preferred. I keep getting mail offers for a Thank You card, but seeing as how I pretty much already have one, I decided to apply for a different Citi card, Citi Dividend, the logic being that since I keep getting the offers, Citi must like us (no late payments, 3 BTs between the two cards, two of which have been paid off.)

So I apply for the Dividend, and I'm immediately denied due to a charge-off from 2007 that falls off in April.

Now I'm wondering if I should go for the Citi Thank You that I keep getting offers for, or if that card is harder to get, if I shouldn't even bother due to my denial of the Dividend?

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Which is harder to get, Citi Dividend or Thank You?

@parkman wrote:

Here's the situation: I'm an AU on my wife's two Citi accounts. One is a Citi Thank You, the other is a Diamond Preferred. I keep getting mail offers for a Thank You card, but seeing as how I pretty much already have one, I decided to apply for a different Citi card, Citi Dividend, the logic being that since I keep getting the offers, Citi must like us (no late payments, 3 BTs between the two cards, two of which have been paid off.)

So I apply for the Dividend, and I'm immediately denied due to a charge-off from 2007 that falls off in April.

Now I'm wondering if I should go for the Citi Thank You that I keep getting offers for, or if that card is harder to get, if I shouldn't even bother due to my denial of the Dividend?

I think the immediate denial would apply to all Citi cards, nothing to do with how hard they are.  Was this a Citi charge off?  It may fall off the CR in April but the lender may have a longer record.

The Thank You card is an "entry"-level card so I doubt if it is harder than Dividend.  The Thank You Preferred is a NPSL (World MC/Visa Sig) and so is potentially harder.

Message 2 of 4
parkman
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response, the CO was from Chase. So my odds of the TY card would only be marginally better from what you're saying. Sounds like I'm better off just letting my report get cleaner before I actually apply for anything. It's only 6 months till my report is clean as a whistle, but waiting is the hardest part...

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 3 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, if it is not a Citi charge off, waiting till it drops is the best move.  Then consider what card would be most use to you.  The TY card is pretty limited in rewards, but if you spend in those categories it is [sort of] OK.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.