Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is harder to obtain, Chase VS Discover

tag
knoxman
Established Member

Re: Which is harder to obtain, Chase VS Discover

Who freaking knows man.  I just applied and was approved for both although both gave me small limits(Discover 1k and Chase $500).  I have two collections (recent within two years on my TU and a tax lien from '06 on EX and TU.  Both pulled all three CB. When I called Discover didn't ask about either one.  Chase grilled me about the collections but never mentioned the tax lien.  Very limited revolving history, 3 toy cards under a year but zero lates and Utilization was 2% all on one card.     I personally can't believe I got approved for either one.

Message 21 of 32
ssp
Valued Member

I've had Discover for 7 months and their initial cl 1k  Chase freedom started me with 4k. I called discover to ask for a cl increase and they said it would be a hp and so I told them forget it. They were both easy to get but I think Discover is on the stingy side lol they are my lowest cl

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Message 22 of 32
Boragard
Established Contributor

I would say Chase is definitely harder to obtain.  Back in early 2007 when Chase Freedom was new I went into the bank to change my PIN & they noticed I had overdraft protection on my account to my savings.  The Representative asked if I wanted to apply for a Chase Freedom card to link to my checking instead of my saving account, I said yes.  I was instantly approved for $1,500 and the rep said "good job, these are hard to get".  Fast forward to 2010, I lost my job and missed a few payments Chase upped my APR from 11.9% to the penalty APR of 29.99%, I went along with it for one month, called customer service demanded a lower interest or close the account immediately.  They did not budge so I closed the account down.  A thing I still regret to this day.  Since 2010 I have applied every year since and have been denied!  My last time trying was just yesterday! (10/03/13).  I even called and reconed, the credit analyst said I have a charge off in late 2007 for a Sallie Mae account and to call Transunion, then call Chase back after it is removed.  Today, (10/04/13) I applied for Discover It and was instantly approved. 

Message 23 of 32
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think Discover is harder.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 24 of 32
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

I would say Chase is definitely harder to obtain.  Back in early 2007 when Chase Freedom was new I went into the bank to change my PIN & they noticed I had overdraft protection on my account to my savings.  The Representative asked if I wanted to apply for a Chase Freedom card to link to my checking instead of my saving account, I said yes.  I was instantly approved for $1,500 and the rep said "good job, these are hard to get".  Fast forward to 2010, I lost my job and missed a few payments Chase upped my APR from 11.9% to the penalty APR of 29.99%, I went along with it for one month, called customer service demanded a lower interest or close the account immediately.  They did not budge so I closed the account down.  A thing I still regret to this day.  Since 2010 I have applied every year since and have been denied!  My last time trying was just yesterday! (10/03/13).  I even called and reconed, the credit analyst said I have a charge off in late 2007 for a Sallie Mae account and to call Transunion, then call Chase back after it is removed.  Today, (10/04/13) I applied for Discover It and was instantly approved.  I will be gardening all of 2014! 

Having negative history is definitely going to affect how risky a lender views you. You can't blame Chase for raising the rate if you missed multiple payments. Chase is only hard to get if you have derogatory information on your credit report. As you saw back in 2007, they instantly approved you for the card, so they obviously don't require much.

Message 25 of 32
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

For me Discover was way harder. Over the last 4 years I think I tried 3 times. When the IT card was released I app'd a fourth time and was prompted to call in when the analyst went over (and over and over) a paid utility charge off for $75 from 6 years ago. He finally approved me for $5k.

Chase was easy for me. Ive been banking with them for 5 years so I think that helped my cause. OP do you happen to have any Chase accounts? Apologies if I missed that.
Message 26 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

For me in my latest app spree discover was more difficult for me. Got double pulled and didn't get best apr, while freedom was single pull and got the 15 month 0% apr offer, but i think its different for everybody . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 32
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

i applied for both with limited credit history on the same day.  Discover approved me for 4k and chase for $700.  Discover has since given me an auto cli to $4500 while chase still sits at $700

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 28 of 32
longtermgardener
New Contributor

I think Discover is more easier to get if you have a short history. I applied for both Chase Freedom and Discover IT at the same time last febraury. Chase denied me because I had a credit history of less than a year. I called backdoor 4 times and everytime, it was denied because of lack of history and I gave up after that. Discover approved me with the limit of $1700 and it's been stuck at that limit eversince.

Wallet : AMEX Costco TE 23k, BoFA 123 Visa Signature $12.5k, Marriott rewards $5k, Discover IT $1.7k, Walmart Discover $5.5k, Cap 1 Platinum $1500, Amazon $2000

Scores: EQ 712(9/28/13), EX 728 (9/28/13), TU 717 (Credit Karma 10/26/13), TU 753 Walmart (9/03/13)
Last app : 9/28/2013
Message 29 of 32
J14K
Valued Member

I applied for both in June '12.

Denied for Chase due to lack of credit history.

Approved for IT with $1500.

Forward to October '12.

Approved for Chase with $1200 (will try to raise this to match other cards)

And now my IT sits at $2000.

Discover was willing to give me a chance with my limited history. Chase wanted at least a year.

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 708 EX, 660 EQ, 692 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

- -Gardening since 6/21/13 - -
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.