Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the easiest PRIME CC?

tag
blk8
Regular Contributor

Which is the easiest PRIME CC?

I'm about to hit my 6 month mark on my last app spree (BARCLAYS REWARDS, WALMART, AMAZON, PAYPAL SMART CONNECT). I want to apply for a PRIME CARD in a week or so when the balances report. I should be at 8% utilization at that point.

FICO's range from 659-678 across the board.

AAoA 5 years

18 Inq from 2 sepperate car shopping Smiley Sad

Besides the cards mentioned.... I have a CAP1 Quiksilver reporting for 18 months, 1k limit ... and another CAP1 Platinum .... 2k limit reporting for 6 years... and also 1 new car loan with DCU for 2 months.

Here is the negative part my credit:  1 chargeoff repo from 6/2012 (x-wife was awarded the vehicle and she defaulted)

I'm thinking either Wells Fargo or BofA as they seem to be easier. I dont care too much about the rewards at this time as i am still trying to build.

P.S. I have been turned down by AMEX and DISCOVER 3 months ago due to the charge off.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which is the easiest PRIME CC?

I DO NOT recommend you applying for an Wells Fargo credit card, unless you already have a checking account with them.

May I suggest AMEX Delta Gold or the PRGold AMEX charge card?
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - what would be the downside of waiting another 3-6 months?  Does it have to be this week?  IMO, a combined number of factors (# of inquiries, fresh CO, recent new accounts, etc.) may not weigh favorably in the end for lenders like Citi, Chase or BOA.  And, if you do get approved (marginally or through reconsideration), you could potentially receive a low CL and not the best terms with those cards (APR > 22%).  Timing is everything.

Message 3 of 9
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

I don't know your situation. But, if you can wait, then do.

Message 4 of 9
blk8
Regular Contributor

I am able to wait.... I just wanted a big name card to reflect on my report before I apply for Chase and Amex on the 12 month mark.

Message 5 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I would build some increases on your GE cards, while waiting.  Amex (revolvers), BofA, Chase, Citi will be extremely difficult with a fairly recent CO.  I have no idea how Wells Fargo is with CO but imagine they would view it similarly to others (and their card lineup is....yawn).  If Discover denied you for having the CO, 6 months won't be enough time to get them to approve, an Amex Charge card may be a possibility.  I needed around 5 years before any "prime" lenders let me in - and that was with the CO paid.

Message 6 of 9
blk8
Regular Contributor

That sounds reasonable.

I do plan on app'ing for the Barclays US AIR card as I travel a lot with them. Hopefully, they give me a fair shot as I have a existing relationship with them already. I need those bonus miles!!!

Message 7 of 9
CardinalRules
New Contributor

I think you're rushing into things. With a CO and that many inquiries, I would let about a year pass before I thought of applying for more cards. Get the scores up to 700+, get your limits up (Walmart is especiaily easy to get CLIs on), and you should be good for a prime card then

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 8 of 9
lithium78
Established Contributor

When the time comes to app, BoA might be a good choice if you are a customer with them.  They were my first prime card after rebuilding and at the time I had about ten inqs on my report and a score of 650.  However, I had a long banking relationship with them and a lot in my savings account which I think made a difference in their decision.  A couple years later, it's my lowest interest rate card and one of my highest limits.  They are worth checking out.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.