cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which issuers have a memory like an elephant?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which issuers have a memory like an elephant?

Amex is legendary for having the memory of an elephant. In the 1960's my father took out an Amex card using my name (I was 14 or 15 at the time and knew nothing about it). He defaulted on it. Fast forward to the 1980's and I apply for an Amex card. I was declined. It took me almost a year to convince them that I had no knowledge of the account my father opened in my name. I got the card with a very low line and Amex closed it within months for no reason (I used the card once or twice and paid the bill in full, so I have no idea why). I suspect the history of my father was still lurking in the bacground.

On the other extreme, Cap1 is legendary for not holding a grudge and re-opening

Who else has a long memory besides Amex?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Which issuers have a memory like an elephant?

I believe Amex is the most notorious.  For them to approve you, you have to pay back what was charged off, or at least used to be this.

I think Chase has a long memory too.

BofA, Citi, and of course CapOne don't seem to have a long memory with the latter being the shortest.  Could we say that CapOne is the Alzheimer's bank of credit cards...?...

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been wondering about Citi. I used to have a HSBC Best Buy card that I defaulted on. At some point it got sold to Citi before going to collections. Do you guys think I would ever be able to get in with Citi?

I always thought Amex and Chase was the worst.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve been wondering about Citi. I used to have a HSBC Best Buy card that I defaulted on. At some point it got sold to Citi before going to collections. Do you guys think I would ever be able to get in with Citi?

I always thought Amex and Chase was the worst.

I've been wondering about this myself for some time. I had a Best Buy store card that was originally with HSBC, then transferred to Capital One, then in September 2013 transferred to Citi; it was included in my 2014 Chapter 7 BK. I've been holding back on applying for Citi's Best Buy and/or Costco cards for pretty much that reason, not being sure if I'd get auto-denied because of my BK and whether asking for a recon would do any good. In point of fact, the question isn't that urgent right now because I'm staying a spell in the garden after having had a bit of a spree starting with a $4000 Overstock in late May and finishing with a $3000 Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa this past weekend, but I'm still thinking about the possibility once the holiday season approaches as I'll be in the market for a replacement for my 5 1/2-year-old laptop then. (Then again, at that time I might be able to get Penfed to give me a CLI to cover the purchase so I don't ding my util too badly...)

Message 4 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Agreed about Amex.

I've also heard several reports of people being denied for Chase cards for very old defaults on cards with banks Chase later acquired.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 9
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is legendary for having the memory of an elephant. In the 1960's my father took out an Amex card using my name (I was 14 or 15 at the time and knew nothing about it). He defaulted on it. Fast forward to the 1980's and I apply for an Amex card. I was declined. It took me almost a year to convince them that I had no knowledge of the account my father opened in my name. I got the card with a very low line and Amex closed it within months for no reason (I used the card once or twice and paid the bill in full, so I have no idea why). I suspect the history of my father was still lurking in the bacground.

On the other extreme, Cap1 is legendary for not holding a grudge and re-opening

Who else has a long memory besides Amex?

They all have memory's of elephants the only catch is if they are willing to forgive you and how much of a nightmare they want to make your life. American Express is notorious for being unforgiving. Chase will bring skeletons out of the purchased closet to smack you with a wall by going after you for old accounts that they took over. Then you have Bank of America that will require you to recon for pretty much the rest of your life after a dozen years of waiting. Citi will usually wait for the BK to fall off(10yr) before they talk with you. Discover likes 4-7yr before they let you in but will happily flood you with preapprovals before then. Capitol One will hold you off for a year but the chance to let you rebuild will usually tempt them to give you a card with horrible terms. The Alzheimer's patient of the bunch is Synchrony Bank, or more like completely lobotomized. They will sometimes keep cards open after the collection and when they don't will approve some applications right after closing the BK process.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

PenFed.

i bought a Plymouth in 1984. It was financed at a dealer in Germany. 

I was so young that I paid zero attention to who financed it.

i was divorced and the car went bye bye about the same time as the marriage.

31 years later I joined PenFed and they asked me about a Plymouth. Confused the heck out of me.

I apped for a card and the reason for denial was;

"previously caused PenFed to suffer a loss" or something along those lines.

Ex let it go with less than a $1000 left owing.

PenFed lasted longer than the Plymouth brand!Smiley Very Happy

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I can personally 'vouch' for Amex... they might somewhat forgive, but they never forget.  I included them in BK7 back in 2000, and they have no issues approving me for new accounts now but they consistently decline any CLI request specifically due to the BK from 17 years ago.  That said, I have received one 3x auto-CLI, and my last new approval did have a nice starting line, but everything must be at their pace.  Note that I'm not complaining about this... I actually expected to be forever locked out, and I'm pleased to be back "in" at all.

The only other lender that still has issues with me based on the past is Barclays... I had an old Juniper card years ago that was charged-off just as it was switching over to Barclays, and they used that as the reason to deny me for Sallie Mae a couple of years ago.  Knowing what I know now about Barclays I'm not too torn-up over it, though.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU

I defaulted on a credit card (included in BK) in the early 90's. In 2014, applied for a savings/checking account. My deposit was sent back to me without explaination. An inquiry to NFCU concluded that I was back listed due to the default. So we are talking about a 30 year memory and denial for opening a savings account.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.