Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which new card for wife and I?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which new card for wife and I?

Hey all,

My wife and I are considering opening a new credit card account, but I had some questions about how best to approach this, and what recommendations the community may have. We are getting married in a little over a month, so we figured with the amount of spending we are about to do, we might as well benefit from it!

For that reason, we started looking for a great intro offer. The Chase Sapphire seems to be the best, but I'm not sure about the rewards after that. I already have a Quicksilver card with 1.5% cash back that I primarily use, I have a bank of america 3-2-1 card that gives 3% on gas, 2 % groceries, and 1% for everything else. 

My wife has a Chase Freedom card and a Discover IT card for the rotating 5%.

I thought about the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred because of the 6% on groceries and the fact that Costco accepts it (though not for much longer). They have an OK intro offer of 150 back after spending 1000 dollars, and I have always thought about attempting to start a relationship with AMEX for the future.

Any advice on a particular card that would fit into our arsenal and provide an intro boost as well? 

Also, as per the subject, I was wondering if we can apply together and if that would increase our odds. Her FICO score is like 750, but she has only 1.5 years of credit.

My FICO is probably closer to 680, possibly higher (with a few blemishes), but I have almost a 10 year history.

Not sure which one of us would be more likely to be approved for something like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred or Chase Sapphire Preferred!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which new card for wife and I?

You might consider trying the pre-qualified route with Chase, first, before applying, if you end up wanting to apply for the CSP. If you are prequalified, it's pretty certain you'll be approved (though if you are not, it does not mean you won't still get it).

Personally, I love the Barclays Arrival Plus and the Capital One Venture card, as it's standard 2x per dollar spent and redeemable on any qualifying travel-related expenses.

Good luck, and congrats on your wedding Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I was you, get a copy of all 3 of your CR's and scores. As you know, scores can vary significantly from one CA to the next. If you find one of your scores is lower than the other two, simply find lenders who normally do not pull from that CA. Why waste HP's on cards you have much lower odds of getting when you can apply for others where your odds are much higher. That's what I did and it helped me significantly. I was being declined by BOA, DIS, Barclays, and USAA. I found out my EX was much higher than the other two, with TU being my lowest. So I searched and found lenders who primarily pull EX and have been approved for those. I'm now working on getting my EQ and TU scores up so that I don't have to worry about these issues in the future. But by pulling my reports and knowing my scores, I've saved myself alot of useless HP's and disappointment. Best of luck. Congrats !!!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your wife is more likely to get approved for better cards than you . With those scores and clean reports and 1.5 years of history she can get pretty much any card out there . She can definitely get any Amex .
Message 4 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

My wife and I are considering opening a new credit card account, but I had some questions about how best to approach this, and what recommendations the community may have. We are getting married in a little over a month, so we figured with the amount of spending we are about to do, we might as well benefit from it!

For that reason, we started looking for a great intro offer. The Chase Sapphire seems to be the best, but I'm not sure about the rewards after that. I already have a Quicksilver card with 1.5% cash back that I primarily use, I have a bank of america 3-2-1 card that gives 3% on gas, 2 % groceries, and 1% for everything else. 

My wife has a Chase Freedom card and a Discover IT card for the rotating 5%.

I thought about the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred because of the 6% on groceries and the fact that Costco accepts it (though not for much longer). They have an OK intro offer of 150 back after spending 1000 dollars, and I have always thought about attempting to start a relationship with AMEX for the future.

Any advice on a particular card that would fit into our arsenal and provide an intro boost as well? 

Also, as per the subject, I was wondering if we can apply together and if that would increase our odds. Her FICO score is like 750, but she has only 1.5 years of credit.

My FICO is probably closer to 680, possibly higher (with a few blemishes), but I have almost a 10 year history.

Not sure which one of us would be more likely to be approved for something like the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred or Chase Sapphire Preferred!

I must admit, I'm starting to look at sign up bonuses too Smiley Wink  The Barclay Arival+, or Capital One Venture seem to have good bonuses.

For good cash back cards, click on any card in my signature. That will bring you to a list of spreadsheets that i'm working on. that should help you select the best cash back cards for your type of spending.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 6 of 7
dilettante
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase and Amex do not allow joint app's.  There are only a few major banks that still allow joint app's (Wells Fargo, BofA, Discover) but the others (especially those that offer great travel rewards) don't allow joint accounts anymore.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.