Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which non-chase card should I app for?

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Which non-chase card should I app for?

My spend is mostly food, followed by gas, and then amazon....

I have the Costco TE which gives me 3% CB on gas purchases, but pretty much 1% on everything else.

Is there a cash back card out there that is not issued by Chase (They won't give me my OWN LOC so long as my repo is reporting..) that is strong in these two catergories?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Which non-chase card should I app for?

Cash+? Set it to restaurants and bookstores. It's capped at 2k per quarter though for 5% categories.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 20
samm90
New Contributor

Discover it.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 3 of 20
samm90
New Contributor

And Sallie Mae

Message 4 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Is food restaurants (in which case Cash Plus is good, although Fast Food and restaurants are different categories on that card) or groceries (in which case Sallie Mae works, and covers gas and bookstores as well).  If it is groceries, BCP/BCE/BC also work, but don't cover Amazon/bookstores.

Message 5 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@samm90 wrote:
Discover it.

Why?

Message 6 of 20
Beane
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@samm90 wrote:
Discover it.

Why?

I imagine they mean this quarter because you get 5% back on dining and movies.

If you are near a Huntington Bank branch you can get the Voice card with 3% on dining with no AF.   Citi TYP offers 2X for the no AF version and 3X for the $125 AF version.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 7 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Ebates will get you 3% at Amazon!

Message 8 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

Currently, there's a 50K sign up bonus for Cap One's Venture One card.  There's a $3K spend requirement, which isn't difficult to meet, considering all the "ways" to spend and pay one's bills.

It's travel redemption only, but quite easy to buy Hotel GCs, and redeem by selling for cash at around 90% face value.  So, this would make the 50K points about $450 cash equivalent.

Not bad for a 2% card and first year annual fee waived.

Message 9 of 20
samm90
New Contributor

The IT has 5% for Amazon/online gas and restaurants each for a quarter. Those are the things you said you buy.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.