Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of Two Cards to Apply for First?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which of Two Cards to Apply for First?

Discover It and Chase Freedom. I was thinking about waiting 6 months before I apply for the second card. I have 4 inquires for Experian and 4 on Equifax. Perhaps I should wait for Chase Freedom to have their $200 bonus which they seemingly offer every 6 months, the last two being summer 2015 and fall 2015.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Which of Two Cards to Apply for First?

I think you mean Fall 2014 lol. Smiley Tongue
Anyway, I'd jump on the Discover train now with that double cashback promo! As far as the freedom, just keep in mind they have a new unwritten rule where if you have acquired more than 5 new accounts in the past 2 years it's pretty much an auto denial of you apply.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I wait for my credit report to be current with all the credit limit increases I recently received? I only have a 4% utilization with perfect payment history.

Message 3 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm thinking the same , maybe i finish tryin both lol. in my case im waiting 2 things , my score is 690 and i want 700 or more and waiting too for the $200 in chase case. my problem is i just know my TU score and chase pull that in my case but Discover pull EQ and idk my score. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that since I live in California, Chase will most likely pull Experian and I only have 4 inquiries there so I should be okay.

Message 6 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Discover first for sure, the double promo trumps Freedom.

But why apply for both of these? In a situation where presumably you have few cards, these cards are (IMO) redundant and you may do better to find a different option vs Freedom once you have your Discover.

Like I was saying yesterday, to me, "waiting for the $200 bonus" isn't worth it for several reasons. First of all, it's only $100 more than the normal bonus. Yes $100 is (sort of) a lot of money, but this day and age, not really. Second, there is literally no guarantee if or when the bonus is even coming back. If the card is useful to you (along with Discover) then go for it.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Voting for Discover It - but would agree with waiting until your recent CLI's post. Where does your utilization stand?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a trend that the $200 bonus is offered every six months so I highly doubt that Chase Freedom will not have another $200 bonus since credit cards are very competitive; they want your business and they want your money. Chase Freedom even had a $300 bonus promotion that occurred last year. It shows how aggressive they are against their competitors.

Commonly find me a hundred dollar bill on the floor and then you can tell me it is not a lot of money. Same logic goes with saving pennies here and there (1.5%-5% cash back), it can easily add up to hundreds of dollars in saving each year.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization is 9% but when it becomes current, it will be at 3.5%-4%. I'll apply for Discover it when my credit report is current; I have several credit increase which will decrease utilization which will in effect will increase my credit score by a few points.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.