cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of my Amex cards should I try a 61 day CLI on?

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Which of my Amex cards should I try a 61 day CLI on?

A question for the experts at this sort of thing:

I have two new Amex cards coming up on 61 days, and I will be requesting a CLI on one of them.  No guarantees of course - and hard to get a read on what/if there is a policy right now, but input is appreciated.

Card 1: BCP 2399/5000    (It is my 0% carry card right now)

Card 2: HH        0/2000   

I would probably prefer to add to the HH CL, as 2K makes it a little less useful especially considering longer hotel stays.  But it seems the HH is a slow grower in general, so I wonder if BCP is the way to go. On the other hand,  my balance is rather high there.

Thoughts?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Which of my Amex cards should I try a 61 day CLI on?

@BallBounces wrote:

A question for the experts at this sort of thing:

I have two new Amex cards coming up on 61 days, and I will be requesting a CLI on one of them.  No guarantees of course - and hard to get a read on what/if there is a policy right now, but input is appreciated.

Card 1: BCP 2399/5000    (It is my 0% carry card right now)

Card 2: HH        0/2000   

I would probably prefer to add to the HH CL, as 2K makes it a little less useful especially considering longer hotel stays.  But it seems the HH is a slow grower in general, so I wonder if BCP is the way to go. On the other hand,  my balance is rather high there.

Thoughts?

Don't base it on slow growth or things like that. I would base it entirely on what suits your spend. Is the BCP limit good enough? Do you routinely run up near the limit in your daily charging? The utilization on it is almost 50%, so you may not get a CLI anyway.

All things being equal, if you actually value Hhonors points/the program, I'd go for that one above the BCP because a 2k limit is pretty, well, limiting when we're talking about hotel charges, whereas 5k is not as limiting with gas/groceries for many people. YMMV.

Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

+1 Base it on your needs/wants.  The limit you stand to qualify for really depends on your credit profile and income -- not the card you select.

Keep in mind that 2,399/5,000 is 48% which is high.  A CLI would help with revolving utilization on that card if you're not dropping the balance on it.  That said, the high utilization will impact the CLI you'd qualify for.  Ideally you'd drop revolving utilization as low as possible and confirm when AmEx last SP'd you so you know what they're looking at before requesting the CLI.

@BallBounces wrote:

AFAIK all the stuff in the 3x CLI Guide applies aside from 60 days.  Definitely read it if you have not already.  Even if 60 days is being enforced you can try again when you've reached that point in time if you jump the gun.

Message 3 of 8
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Takeshi ..... tell me someting I don't already know ......

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope you dont mind me jumping into your thread. I'm a little confused with thw whole amex 61/91 day thing. I applied for a cli at activation on my BCE with no luck (message was "account too new"). So should I now tey again after 61 or 91 days?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hope you dont mind me jumping into your thread. I'm a little confused with thw whole amex 61/91 day thing. I applied for a cli at activation on my BCE with no luck (message was "account too new"). So should I now tey again after 61 or 91 days?

You have to wait 91 days after a denial with AmEx.

Message 6 of 8
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to wait 91 days after a denial with AmEx.

And there are those that say "too new" is not a "denial".

I am not the expert here, YMMV, anecdotes are not evidence, yadda yadda yadda.

050719:     
021924:     

Message 7 of 8
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I decided on the BCP (for reasons) and received a 7-10 day message.

050719:     
021924:     

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.