cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of these store/finance cards should I close?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Which of these store/finance cards should I close?

Rooms to Go - 6K - 10/2009

Dell Financial Services - 3K - 12/2009

Jared - 10K - 2/2010

Care Credit  - 3.7K - 4/2011

I really don't plan on ever using them again, and I'm also afraid they might trigger a "You have too much available credit" denial when applying for a CC.  But at the same time, cancelling them would make utilization go up a bit.  What do you guys suggest?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Which of these store/finance cards should I close?

They have no AF's, I would just keep them open until the credit card company closes them or an underwriter tells you were denied because you had too much availible credit, having the TL's sit on your report for a couple extra years (12 years instead of 10) can only help under manaul reviews, and will help your AAoA's especially if you add a few more cards over time.  The key to having great credit is having multiple credit options and not using the majority of them and never pay late.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have to agree with jamesdwi. No AFs , help with util, - sounds like a win-win.
Message 3 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Leave them open.  I have Dell line that I haven't used in 3-4 years that they haven't closed for inactivity yet.  I'll keep that $5.5k line forever if they let me. 

Message 4 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Close them all.  No point in keeping credit accounts that you never use.    They can be a liability since you are not likely to check them every month to see if there are any fraudulent charges or other issues.    

The too much credit is more of a concern than a minor change in utlization.    It is easy to control utilization when needed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.