Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which order should I app?

tag
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Which order should I app?

So, while I wait for my cards to all report their pay offs and nice low balance on one, I thought I would marinate and strategize on how to proceed once they do:

I am a private commercial pilot and I travel a lot.  However, I don't really want a hotel card because most of the places I stay are usually either totally comped or private condos or residences.  I can count on one hand how many actual hotels I have stayed at in the past year +.

Miles also don't mean much to me because I fly everywhere myself and rarely if ever need to take an airliner anywhere except vacation, and then I can usually fly myself anyway.

Cash back however is where its at for me.  Almost all of my fuel buys are from either Shell or Chevron branded fuel depots and trust me, filling a plane is a lot.  If I fuel it on my card, the owner typically will reimburse me almost immediately. (Or as soon as his assitant can cut me a check).  I think you all can see the benefit here.

I take a lot of cruises because well, it keeps my wife happy. 

The cards I am thinking of are: (in no particular order):

Chase Freedom

Amex BCE (would love to try BCP but I don't know if my file will support it or not)

Diswcover IT

Chase Disney (cause my wife makes me buy premium annual passes to Disneyland every year anyway).

Once my stuff reports I will have a FICO score somewhere around the 720-740 range with less than 5% util and not many inq (see siggy).

My AAoA is about 1-1.5 years so thats a little low.

Annual income 85K - 125K depending on how often I fly.

No derogs, no baddies, not even a hiccup on any of the three major bureaus now.

So what do you wise folks think? 

My wife shops at Costco a lot so I was thinking might as well make a move for the Costco card but if I am going the BCE or BCP route, then whats the benefit really?

I would prefer to stay away from Citi as i hear that their Customer service is locked in a black box at the bottom of a hole dug in the darkest corner of the basement.

My wife would love me to have a card with a nice big minimum spend so we could blow it on cruises and such, but my schedule is so erratic I am leery of too much of a min spend requirement. 

Thoughts?  Any other cards I am missing here that you folks think would be a better fit?

Thanks

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Which order should I app?

I think you should consider is the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa. You can pick your cash back catagories. Make your 2% for gas, and pick your 2x 5% cash back catagories according to your other major spending areas. But 2% year round without waiting for the gas catagories on freedom or discover. I'm also a big fan of chase freedom though.

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

American Express Charge Card would be a good start probably to be able to move more money through it.... how many gallons does this "little" Jet take?

Chevron GE you could get and limits can grow quick now that you can talk to underwriting directly about CLI.

you have only had credit for 1.5 years? but have no derogs, why so short?

Message 3 of 8
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

American Express Charge Card would be a good start probably to be able to move more money through it.... how many gallons does this "little" Jet take?

Chevron GE you could get and limits can grow quick now that you can talk to underwriting directly about CLI.

I had a major financial catastrophe in 2004 of which the last and final remnants have fallen off just now.  I have a credit history according to the bureaus of 8 years but my AAoA is only about 1.5 years. 

For years while rebuilding, I simply went without credit or we only used my wife's.  I am an AU on her Amex Green, Discover and Cap one platinum.  I made darn sure nothing was ever late and we kept the situation well under control. 

I have a couple cards on my own, and my Cap One just got a 3xCIi yesterday courtesy of the Exec office there.

Basically I stayed away from any and all credit for over 8 years while rebuilding.  So the cards I am looking at are not the Preferred or Signature level stuff yet.  I am aiming lower to start out with.  IE: Freedom, BCE instead of BCP, Discover IT.   In time I will go for higher tier cards of the Preferred sort or the Signature level ones but for now, I am content to pursue cautiously.  

I thought about another AMEX charge and I might go for one as well.  How is amex when it comes to issuing both a charge and a revolver around the same time?

P.S.  The little Embraer I flew last weekend to Vegas and runs about 2500 to fill from empty.  lol  The big G5 we use for trips to Cabo San Lucas and Cancun  is a whole bunch more.

Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I had a major financial catastrophe in 2004 of which the last and final remnants have fallen off just now.  I have a credit history according to the bureaus of 8 years but my AAoA is only about 1.5 years. 

For years while rebuilding, I simply went without credit or we only used my wife's.  I am an AU on her Amex Green, Discover and Cap one platinum.  I made darn sure nothing was ever late and we kept the situation well under control. 

I have a couple cards on my own, and my Cap One just got a 3xCIi yesterday courtesy of the Exec office there.

Basically I stayed away from any and all credit for over 8 years while rebuilding.  So the cards I am looking at are not the Preferred or Signature level stuff yet.  I am aiming lower to start out with.  IE: Freedom, BCE instead of BCP, Discover IT.   In time I will go for higher tier cards of the Preferred sort or the Signature level ones but for now, I am content to pursue cautiously.  

I thought about another AMEX charge and I might go for one as well.  How is amex when it comes to issuing both a charge and a revolver around the same time?

P.S.  The little Embraer I flew last weekend to Vegas and runs about 2500 to fill from empty.  lol  The big G5 we use for trips to Cabo San Lucas and Cancun  is a whole bunch more.

1.  Chase Freedom maybe lower line for the sake that they want everyone to have one and they will set $400 limit if they have to which is just silly for Chase I think but...

2.  Not sure how you got to Amex Blue is a low end easy card to get... American Express Green,Gold,Plat Charge are going to be your easier cards, not credit card products... but hitting up Gold first and if approved go right back in and hit up Blue preferred... if you get denied gold... you are a no go on all amex for the time being.

3. If AU on Discover, I would apply to them first, chase 2nd, amex 3rd and 4th and Chevron 5th.

and if you get approved Discover and Chase might wait for them to report then go to amex.

Message 5 of 8
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Pilotdude wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

1.  Chase Freedom maybe lower line for the sake that they want everyone to have one and they will set $400 limit if they have to which is just silly for Chase I think but...

2.  Not sure how you got to Amex Blue is a low end easy card to get... American Express Green,Gold,Plat Charge are going to be your easier cards, not credit card products... but hitting up Gold first and if approved go right back in and hit up Blue preferred... if you get denied gold... you are a no go on all amex for the time being.

3. If AU on Discover, I would apply to them first, chase 2nd, amex 3rd and 4th and Chevron 5th.

and if you get approved Discover and Chase might wait for them to report then go to amex.

Okay.  I understand your logic and I agree with it.  When it comes to airplanes I am an expert.  When it comes to credit cards, I am anything but an expert.
 I don't mean to imply that Amex BCE is an easy card to get.  What I was inferring is a belief, which may well be wrong, on my  part that its easier to obain than its counter part, the BCP.

I like the Discover card I am on a lot.  Great Customer service and super easy to manage online. 

I elected Chase based on the fact that I have had a bank account with them for almost ten years now.  Never once over drawn or NSF.  I would think maybe that length of history might carry a touch of weight with them but I dunno.

Where I am confused is when it comes to Amex.  I don't fully grasp where the benefit is of the gold over the green amex.  Let me ask you this as well;

Is the requirements for the Amex gold similar to that of the BCP? and if I app for the BCP and can't be approved will they consider me for the BCE automatically?  I feel like the BCE is the card that leads to the BCP or am I just confuzzled?

Sorry for the nub questions but like I said, Airplanes I know...Credit cards, not so much.

Oh..and should I app all these same day, same time?

Thanks again Creditaddict!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Don't mind my snippy tone sometimes, I don't mean all of it... You can know planes and I'll know what card you should get to fill the G5 for the flight you fly me to Brazil on the G5 Smiley Tongue

Umm Gold over Green... Rewards! And if pushing some money through it has bonus levels.
I don't feel any charge cards by Amex being on same approval level as the credit cards and I don't think blue preferred is harder to get then regular blue...
You really might be one of those credit files that shocks you when you get approved for $10k all of a sudden! Or someone that struggles for higher which brings back Amex charge to top because of maybe only having $1500 with Capital one but the ability to push the $2500 plane fill with no issues.
Other thing to consider might be the Cash Plus business Capital One because I believe you can get as an individual for your business travel and cap1 likes you and you can now recon with exec office if you need more for plane filling and at flat 2% always!!! Well I love that.
Skip Costco Amex, rewards better on blue preferred by far.
Did you try the chase pre qualification check online? Hit that up, if you get offer, go for it... They are solid from what I'm seeing so far.
Okay I'm off to bed so I'm not late for the flight in the morning!
Message 7 of 8
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Don't mind my snippy tone sometimes, I don't mean all of it... You can know planes and I'll know what card you should get to fill the G5 for the flight you fly me to Brazil on the G5 Smiley Tongue

Umm Gold over Green... Rewards! And if pushing some money through it has bonus levels.
I don't feel any charge cards by Amex being on same approval level as the credit cards and I don't think blue preferred is harder to get then regular blue...
You really might be one of those credit files that shocks you when you get approved for $10k all of a sudden! Or someone that struggles for higher which brings back Amex charge to top because of maybe only having $1500 with Capital one but the ability to push the $2500 plane fill with no issues.
Other thing to consider might be the Cash Plus business Capital One because I believe you can get as an individual for your business travel and cap1 likes you and you can now recon with exec office if you need more for plane filling and at flat 2% always!!! Well I love that.
Skip Costco Amex, rewards better on blue preferred by far.
Did you try the chase pre qualification check online? Hit that up, if you get offer, go for it... They are solid from what I'm seeing so far.
Okay I'm off to bed so I'm not late for the flight in the morning!

That flight to Brazil sounds awesome!! 

I was reading on the Amex site while you were prolly replying and waaaaay down in the fine print, it says that the gas points for the Premier Gold card must be for household use, family use etc.  Still though, even at a 1 to 1 ratio, I see your logic on that one.  10K fill on the G5 will build a lot of points in a hurry. Smiley Happy

I was tempted to go for the Costco Amex cause my wife likes to shop there to buy the useful items...like 4 gallons of mayo at once and stuff.  ugg Smiley Happy  but your logic on the BCP is pretty sound in my opinion, especially after reading the fine print on both.

I will give the Chase prequalification a check in the morning.  Typically I never got anything from those in the past, but then again...my scores indicated derogs clinging on which are now gone.

I will give that Cash Plus business card from Cap One a looksy.  I only have one Cap One card in my name so I could get one more without busting their two card limit, right?

You are awesome Creditaddict.  Thank you very much. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.