cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which other cards I may want to apply for cashback?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which other cards I may want to apply for cashback?

Currently, I have BoA cash reward, Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited, Discover IT, QS1. This would bring me lots of cashback from Amazon (6 months 5%), Gas (3 months from Freedom 5%, 3 months from Discover 5%, 6 months from BoA 3%).

Just one simple question, should I get that new Costco card for better reward on Restaurant (3%) and Gas (4%)? (I have costco membership). BoA always do HP so I wonder if Citi does the same? What is your experience on that Costco card?

7 REPLIES 7
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Which other cards I may want to apply for cashback?

Personally, I'd recommend against any additional cards for you right now.

Based on your current limits it doesn't look like you have particularly high income, thus not very much spending.  How much more do you really expect to earn with an extra 1% on gas 6 months of the year?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My salary is 55k, which is not that bad I think. I never requested for cli until this May when I apply for Chase and QS and got instant approvals.

I spend around $200 on gas every month (long commute). That 1% may not be really important but I really do want to have more types of CB in fewer cards. BoA pull HP which I do not really like it, and I may have cashback on Costco and restaurant as well if I have that Citi card.

Just asking, and I really need advice from others as well. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Is having a card that covers each of your spend with a bonus your plan?

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 4 of 8
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My salary is 55k, which is not that bad I think. I never requested for cli until this May when I apply for Chase and QS and got instant approvals.

I spend around $200 on gas every month (long commute). That 1% may not be really important but I really do want to have more types of CB in fewer cards. BoA pull HP which I do not really like it, and I may have cashback on Costco and restaurant as well if I have that Citi card.

Just asking, and I really need advice from others as well. Smiley Happy

Well, the question is what you do you want to achieve? Everyone has different goals and different needs.

If you're looking to get higher CLs, then I wouldn't apply for anything else and let the cards you do have grow.

Additionally, you have more than enough cards for optimizing your FICO score. 

Sounds like you might want to maximize your CB with as few cards a possible.

First, you do have duplicate rewards systems with your Freedom Unlimited and your QS1, with 1.5% CB.  I assume your QS1 has an AF (at $39/year, you'd have to spend at least $2600 in a year to pay for the AF before you see any cash back gains with use of this card). 

The Citi Costco Visa isn't a bad card, and there is a possibility to get a SP CLI after having the card for a while. You mentioned spending $200/month on gas. Annually, you'd have a cash back reward of $96 from gas purchases alone (versus $72 using your BoA Cash Rewards at 3% CB), which more than pays your membership (excluding your other rewards of 3% on travel and restaurants, and 2% on Costco - presumably after the 5% Freedom deal expires). 

I'd get rid of the QS1 if you can't convert it into a no-fee QS (CapOne gives CLIs that are SP, and can be generous, getting a CLI would most likely require a HP with any of the Chase cards too). I'd keep the CFU, Freedom, and Discover. If you get the Costco Visa, then I'd also get rid of the Cash Rewards.  If you were rid of the QS1 and the BoA and in with Costco, that would leave you with 4 cards - CFU for general spend, Freedom/Discover for category spend, and Costco for gas/travel/dining/Costco. 

There are other cards out there too, you might want to check out Themanwhocan's CB CC charts (though they do not include Costco) to see if you have other options (thought it may be that the Costco may work best for you). 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar goal here. 2 months ago i got DC 2% non category, CF, and QS (backup non category). My next round is discover it, fort knox 5% gas, us bank 5% phone. Debating discover miles for 3% non category first year.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you value the UR points more than the straight cash back, I'd get rid of the QS1 and just work the non-category spending onto the Freedom Unlimited.  No real need to have two 1.5% cash back cards, to be honest, and some people find the UR points more valuable depending on what you redeem them for.

Edited: looks like my second comment about TMWC's charts is already covered here Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Similar goal here. 2 months ago i got DC 2% non category, CF, and QS (backup non category). My next round is discover it, fort knox 5% gas, us bank 5% phone. Debating discover miles for 3% non category first year.

I'm pretty sure Discover only allows one new card per year, so you'll need to decide between the It and Miles.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.