Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which plan for CSP->Freedom?

tag
drew11
Regular Contributor

Which plan for CSP->Freedom?

Hi everybody, I had a quick question regarding my fiancé's CSP ($7000 CL). It is coming close to being a year old now and the AF is going to post soon. I already own a CSP and we only need to pay the AF for one card. She also has a newer Chase Freedom ($4000 CL).

Our initial plan was to:

A) Downgrade the CSP to a Freedom, transfer the newer Freedom's CL to the older Freedom that used to be the CSP, and close the newer Freedom.

However, I recently read that Chase is cracking down on customers and preventing them from having more than one of the same type of card. Would they allow her to downgrade her Freedom followed by transferring the CL from the older Freedom to it, therefore having two Freedoms briefly at the same time?

She could also:

B) Transfer the newer's Freedom's CL to the CSP, close the newer Freedom, and then downgrade the CSP.

The only problemis that we would have to be guaranteed that they would be able to downgrade the CSP to the Freedom. We do not want to be stuck with a CS.

I guess that leaves us with the worst possible scenario of Chase not allowing us to downgrade the CSP to the Freedom.

In that case, I'm guessing she would have to:

C) Transfer the CSP's limit to the newer Freedom and close the CSP.

01/04/17 Equifax FICO 788
01/04/17 Experian FICO 789
01/04/17 TransUnion FICO 784

Amex BCP $24,000 | Chase Freedom: $13,000 | Chase SR: $35,000 | Discover IT: $20,000 | PenFed Platinum: $32,000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Which plan for CSP->Freedom?

If you ever come close to the $1,500 quarterly bonus cap, you might want to consider keeping 2 Freedom cards open to effectively double your bonus cap.

If that's not a concern, you can call the executive line and you should be able to get option A done.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 4
drew11
Regular Contributor

I own a Freedom myself, so she wouldn't have to keep both Freedoms open which is why we were looking to consolidate the cards into a single Freedom while still maintaining the age of the older CSP.

This is assuming that Chase will allow her to have 2 Freedoms open at the same time? Can anyone confirm if this is still possible?

01/04/17 Equifax FICO 788
01/04/17 Experian FICO 789
01/04/17 TransUnion FICO 784

Amex BCP $24,000 | Chase Freedom: $13,000 | Chase SR: $35,000 | Discover IT: $20,000 | PenFed Platinum: $32,000
Message 3 of 4
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@drew11 wrote:

I own a Freedom myself, so she wouldn't have to keep both Freedoms open which is why we were looking to consolidate the cards into a single Freedom while still maintaining the age of the older CSP.

This is assuming that Chase will allow her to have 2 Freedoms open at the same time? Can anyone confirm if this is still possible?

Chase will not allow you to have two of the same product.  Your best option is "B", in my opinion.  Transfer the entire CL of the Freedom to the CSP and then close the Freedom.  Then, Chase will allow you to downgrade the CSP to Freedom once the other (newer) Freedom is closed.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.