Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which prime card should I apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which prime card should I apply for?

July 3rd my wife and I will be closing on our first home, we've worked quite a bit in last few months (6 to be exact)

to get to the point where were able to do so. I've really kept myself in check by not going app crazy on credit cards.

As of right now I have a chase slate, discover more, citi dividend, american express blue cash, cap 1 plat. All together less than

20 % uti, after we close i'd like to add a really nice prime card to my account. I'd like one with zero apr to start and one with atleast an

average 5k minimum credit limit.  Any suggestions would be appreciated tks. Btw my fico score is around 700

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Which prime card should I apply for?

Looks like you have some nice prime accounts.  What rewards, if any, are you looking for?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

July 3rd my wife and I will be closing on our first home, we've worked quite a bit in last few months (6 to be exact)

to get to the point where were able to do so. I've really kept myself in check by not going app crazy on credit cards.

As of right now I have a chase slate, discover more, citi dividend, american express blue cash, cap 1 plat. All together less than

20 % uti, after we close i'd like to add a really nice prime card to my account. I'd like one with zero apr to start and one with atleast an

average 5k minimum credit limit.  Any suggestions would be appreciated tks. Btw my fico score is around 700

What rewards do you currently have or want with all these cards above because they are all prime in my eyes unless they have $500 limit!

Home Depot or Lowes always comes to mind for first card to get after closing! but if you want 0% on a visa/mc sort of thing.... I go back to first question.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have cards right now that give me pretty decent rewards, but Im really not that into rewards.

Just looking for that really nice prime card that will out do the others in credit limit and future limti increases.

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

An American Express Charge Card

or even American Express Credit Card

I know very few other cards outside of something like Navy Federal that could go up to $25k in less then 8 months for amex credit card based on starting like of like $5k and going to $15k at 61 days, then to the full $25k at 6 months.

Amex Charge could be really over $50k in 6 months or under depending what kind of charging you need to do.

Message 5 of 9
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

Is the chase slate not around the 5k limit? How long have you had that card and have you requested a CLI? That is one of chase's prime cards that can get a nice high CL. As far as 0% I would either go through the MyFICO credit offers or look on credit karma for 0% cards, BOFA, CITI, CHASE offer some good cards. I was going to recommend slate, but you have it.
Message 6 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

What are current card limits and what does income look like? Chase usually likes to outdo others but you already have chase. Also note that scores may drop after mortgage reports. Are you trying to app before it does?
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 9
swpopham
Established Contributor

Something is wrong if he has a bce without a 5k limit, Amex is always good about their limits
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@swpopham wrote:
Something is wrong if he has a bce without a 5k limit, Amex is always good about their limits

Um, not certain where you've gotten your information but people get approved for an Amex revolver all the time around the 2K limit mark on this forum.  Sure, Amex is most excellent with regards to CLI's, but their initial CL is often on the low side compared to some other lenders.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.