cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which reflects better on the credit report and for a protental CLI.

tag
fdrfan54
Frequent Contributor

Which reflects better on the credit report and for a protental CLI.

Paying the balance in full or paying in instalments?

Newegg Card $1200| Amazon Card $1000| Walmart Card $1100| Discover IT Card $1500 Current Fico score is 672 currently Gardening for the time being. Been a member of the Garden since 11-21-17 Planning to stay until Mid-2019.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which reflects better on the credit report and for a protental CLI.

What do you mean by paying in installments? Are you talking about carrying a balance (paying interest) or multiple payments before the statement cut? Either way, it probably will not matter with most creditors concerning CLI, what's more import is the amount spent although many have had no trouble getting CLIs with most lenders with minimal spending, I certainly wouldn't pay interest just to improve my chances for CLI.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a difficult question to answer as it comes down to what works best for you and what your financial situation is. Hence, there isn't a definitive answer.  For example, for me, I'd rather pay in full and not pay interest than pay in installments. If the ultimate goal based on your question is to get a CLI, then either / or [installment v full payment] doesn't make a difference really in my opinion.  You will still get a CLI if your profile warrants it.

Message 3 of 6
fdrfan54
Frequent Contributor

Paying the minimum balance.

Newegg Card $1200| Amazon Card $1000| Walmart Card $1100| Discover IT Card $1500 Current Fico score is 672 currently Gardening for the time being. Been a member of the Garden since 11-21-17 Planning to stay until Mid-2019.
Message 4 of 6
RadioRob
Established Contributor

In terms of your FICO score itself, the best score is achieved when all revolving balances are zero except 1 and that one is less than 9% utilized.

In terms of carrying that balance for a long period of time, FICO does not score on that and does not care. The only it cares about is that you pay at least the minimum amount due within 30 days.

In terms of lenders... paying just the minimum can sometimes be seen as a risk as it can be easy for you to get over your head if you only ever pay minimums. If you do carry a balance, I suggest paying it down as quickly as possible. If you do t have to carry a balance, don’t.

Make your credit work for you, not the other way around.
Message 5 of 6
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Remember CLIs are based on risk. Carrying a balance in itself is not bad, but only making minimum payments is. Carrying a BUNCH of balances is. Being close to limits is etc.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.