cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which should I add to my portfolio? (Chase Amazon Rewards vs. Discover)

tag
BirchBarlow
Contributor

Which should I add to my portfolio? (Chase Amazon Rewards vs. Discover)

I Currently have a BankAmericard Cash Rewards, Citi Double Cash, and a legacy BoA Amex.  I'll probably close the BoA Amex as I don't really need two BoA cards anymore.  I'm leaning towards either the Amazon Rewards card or the Discover card for the $50 Amazon sign-up bonus.  Any thoughts as to which would better compliment my portfolio?  Does one have better approval odds than another?  Any other cards I should consider as a third card?  Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Which should I add to my portfolio? (Chase Amazon Rewards vs. Discover)

@BirchBarlow wrote:

I Currently have a BankAmericard Cash Rewards, Citi Double Cash, and a legacy BoA Amex.  I'll probably close the BoA Amex as I don't really need two BoA cards anymore.  I'm leaning towards either the Amazon Rewards card or the Discover card for the $50 Amazon sign-up bonus.  Any thoughts as to which would better compliment my portfolio?  Does one have better approval odds than another?  Any other cards I should consider as a third card?  Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to the forums!  Smiley Happy

It will be hard to judge your odds at an approval for either card without knowing a little more about your credit profile; that being said for the right credit profile and spending pattern both the cards you mention can be good products.

I'll add that if you're looking for ongoing cash back at Amazon, you might add the Amazon store card (Synchrony) to your 'short list'... if you have Amazon Prime, you'll get 5% back on your Amazon purchases, compared to 3% using the Amazon Visa (Chase).  Discover has included Amazon as one of their revolving categories the last couple of years (two quarters for 2015 and 2016) but this is subject to change.

Again, welcome to myFICO! 

Message 2 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@BirchBarlow wrote:

Honestly, it depends, but you already get 2% on every purchase with Double Cash. Adding the Chase Amazon Visa isn't giving you anything except an extra 1% on Amazon purchases, which is probably a neglible gain unless you are spending thousands on the site.

As mentioned, the Amazon store cards gives 5% on Amazon, so if you're a diehard, that may be a better option. Disadvantage is that it is a store only card. Discover historically includes Amazon in the 5% at least one quarter a year; more recently it's been two quarters. So although it isn't guaranteed, it's a good choice at least until the end of the year since it has 5% on Amazon.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably would advise getting the Chase Amazon.. and this is coming from someone who has used that specific card as a Daily Driver for 7 years! LOL
Message 4 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Both of the cards OP mentioned are known to give fairly anemic starting lines.  Something to consider as well, although Discover will grow every 3 months.  Many other options as well such as Cash + and other cards I believe still offer 100 dollar bonus for X Amt of spend whether 500 or 1k.   Chase Amazon is a meh card, Discover for at least the first year is a decent card due to double cash back then it really depends on whether you enjoy rotating category cards.  

Message 5 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BirchBarlow wrote:

I wouldn't go for the Chase Amazon card.  You could easily meet or exceed their 3% cash back (Marvel 3% bookstores and digital subscriptions, Cash+ has 5% bookstores).  The Amazon Prime store card also has 5% cash back or special financing for purchases over $150.   As for what you should consider, it really depends on your spending needs and on your credit profile.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do all my spending on the Chase Amazon card and they have never shown me any auto luv
Message 7 of 17
adamkingadam
Regular Contributor

@BirchBarlow wrote:

Chase possibly if you need or want to get your foot in Chase's door.. Discover is a great card though, I would go for that. 

Starting Scores: 1/1/2016
EX 600 EQ 598 TU 610
Current Fico Scores (9/2016):EX: 674 EQ: 678 TU: 689
Message 8 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I do all my spending on the Chase Amazon card and they have never shown me any auto luv

So, as we have suggested before, time to stop using it as daily driver!

Message 9 of 17
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Both of the cards OP mentioned are known to give fairly anemic starting lines.  Something to consider as well, although Discover will grow every 3 months.  Many other options as well such as Cash + and other cards I believe still offer 100 dollar bonus for X Amt of spend whether 500 or 1k.   Chase Amazon is a meh card, Discover for at least the first year is a decent card due to double cash back then it really depends on whether you enjoy rotating category cards.  

I agree. Go with the Discover. The CL will grow over time and the customer service compared to the Chase Amazon is so much better. Also, in addition to the CLI every 3 months you can also call in and ask for special promotions on the account (i.e. APR promotions, spend promotions, etc). Defintely go with the Discover card.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.