Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which store CC do you have? Best? Looking for one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which store CC do you have? Best? Looking for one

I am looking to get a store CC to get some benefits and also raise my scores. I am looking for a CC for a department store or grocery store. Tell me which ones you have?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which store CC do you have? Best? Looking for one

I posed the same question some time ago. For me personally, I thought the following were best:

1. Macy's. Good with giving you a comparably large tradeline. Good coupon offers. You will never lose the store trade line when they give you a Visa (you will have 2 reporting tradelines then). Managed by Citi.

2. Kohl's. Good coupon offers connected to the card. Will always stay a store card (no Visa etc. on offer). Stingy with tradelines. Relatively hard to get. Managed by Chase.

If you are into home improvement: Home Depot (can be a big tradeline). Often gives 0% offers for big items.

Message 2 of 12
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Craigh

My favorite store card is Macy's. They will grow with you and have very good offers.

Just make sure whatever store card you receive, it is one that you will use.

I have a JCrew card that I hate and I have to use it once every 6 months to keep it active. Years ago I shopped at jcrew and got the store card. I've had this card for many years. In present time, I think they are so over priced and I hate every time going there to buy something.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have:

J.Crew --ditto to what Oracles said, plus it's the horrible WFNNB behind it. I will say that the store folks are wonderful, but the bank people drove me nuts.

Home Depot --the only perk seems to be the 0% financing for items over whatever, which I don't use, but it's issued by Citi, and they gave me $4K, so I'm not arguing.

Best Buy --issued and mishandled by HSBC (*shivers*), but so far, so good, and I just hit the luv button to go from $2500 to $4K, so I need to stop whining and go buy a CD and some gum.

Kohl's is great, and Macy's/ Bloomingdales is/ are great, and Nordstrom's is great.

To keep a retail card reporting as retail, be sure NOT to get a store card that also has a Visa/ MC/ Discover/ AmEx logo on it. So don't get a Sears MC (for soooo many reasons), don't get a Borders Visa, don't get a Barnes and Noble MC, and so forth. These will count as bank cards, and they won't help your mix by reporting as retail.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

In my openion Macy's / Home Depot are good cards that grow with you in CL and benefits. I am not sure about other cards. Another card you want to consider is Nordstrom Store card and they would upgrade your card to Visa after 6 monnths.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt buying a lot of groceries on a credit card would do much for your credit in a manual reveiw. LOL.
Message 6 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

do grocery stores really issue credit cards??????

anyhoo, we have:  best buy, victoria's secret, catherine's, lane bryant, new york & company, kay jeweler's, ultra diamonds, target, & the now useless mervyn's card.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I doubt buying a lot of groceries on a credit card would do much for your credit in a manual reveiw. LOL.

I buy nearly everything I can on a credit card. I like cashback. Even if it's only 1%.

Message 8 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have Macy's, Saks, Walmart and JCP.

I regret having GEMB cards (Walmart and JCP).

We do not have Saks around here

I like Macy's for frequent CLI's.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm loving my Sam's store card right now they gave me a nice bump in my CL it's also my largest CL.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.