cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which stores can you do the shopping cart trick on?

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which stores can you do the shopping cart trick on?

The "trick" is during the checkout process (after you have filled out your name, address, etc.), some companies (including Comenity) can run your info against a SP on your credit report to pre-approve you for a credit line. This pre-approval pops up and you agree to the pre-approved credit. You don't actually have to finish the check out process.

Special note, asking if you'd like to APPLY for their credit is not the same as "pre-approved for $XXX credit"

Message 11 of 55
BearOSO
Contributor

So you do this trick to see if you prequalify for a reasonable CL? And that's it?

Message 12 of 55
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Essentially yes. This trick only works as a SP when you get a "pop up" You have been approved for $XXX credit" once you have entered your personal info (address, phone, etc,) through checkout.

This is not the same as applying for credit through the site.

Message 13 of 55
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

I believe it also won't work if you are opted "OUT" in your credit reports.

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 55
bigman023
Frequent Contributor

Nice trick,  I assume that if you apply for credit with these stores through normal channels, they will do a HP, right?

5/2009 EQ-504(FICO), TU98-567(FICO), EX- 503 (FAKO)
10/17/11 EQ-633, TU04-652, EX-681 All lender Pulls
10/17/11 TU98-678
12/21/2012 TU98-677 (39% Util)
01/21/2012 EQ - 661 (37% Util) SW Alert
Message 15 of 55
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bigman023 wrote:

Nice trick,  I assume that if you apply for credit with these stores through normal channels, they will do a HP, right?

Almost assuredly.

        
Message 16 of 55
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I just tried it with Victoria's Secret and pop-up said I was pre-approve for $1000 cl!! It asked for my d.o.b. and last 4-digit of my ssn and hit submit then it says it's currently under review!!! What's going on with that situation?? So I called and they said I will get either the card or a letter in the mail.

Message 17 of 55
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

The "trick" is during the checkout process (after you have filled out your name, address, etc.), some companies (including Comenity) can run your info against a SP on your credit report to pre-approve you for a credit line. This pre-approval pops up and you agree to the pre-approved credit. You don't actually have to finish the check out process.

Special note, asking if you'd like to APPLY for their credit is not the same as "pre-approved for $XXX credit"

Two questions.

1)  Is this done during the normal payment screen, if so how do they check our CRs without our SSN? 

2) If  you are opted out, will it still work?

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 18 of 55
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I just tried it with Victoria's Secret and pop-up said I was pre-approve for $1000 cl!! It asked for my d.o.b. and last 4-digit of my ssn and hit submit then it says it's currently under review!!! What's going on with that situation?? So I called and they said I will get either the card or a letter in the mail.

wow that's messed up.  I hope you get it.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 19 of 55
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

Keep calling...you can try dialing into the automated system. It might ask for an account number if you call from a phone other than the one you registered with. You can say you don't have it and then it'll ask for your SSN. (if it goes through automatic without it asking for an account number, it'll just ask for the last 4)

Keep trying! You probably got it.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.