Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Which to Pick- Discover IT vs Discover IT Chrome ?

[ Edited ]

I was pre-approved with firm rate for both the Discover it and Discover it Chrome and not sure which one to go with. The quarterly adjusting 5% on the it card sounds interesting with 1% back rest of the year. But also find the 2% all year on Food/Gas, with no quarterly adjustments, for the it Chrome to be catching my eye. Should I also expect same Initial limits and CL increases between both types of cards? Would appreciate any opinions on which way to go with my selection of it vs it Chrome.

Chapt7 Discharge 3/17
Regular Contributor

Re: Which to Pick- Discover IT vs Discover IT Chrome ?

My guess would be that the cards have similar if not the same underwriting & that you could expect similar starting lines. I would suggest the rotating categories on the IT card over chrome for the following reasons: the card is likely to include 5% gas & food at some point in the year, the cashback match effectively makes all category spend 10% vs a flat 2% for gas/food, if the current category isn't gas or dining you will still get 2% on them with match, and lastly if you're spending enough to max out $1500 a quarter on gas and dining alone there are far far better cards to optimize your rewards.
Valued Contributor

Last I heard, Discover let people switch back and forth pretty smoothly.

I have a lot of good cards and personally favor a card that can occasionally give 5% over a card that couldn't exceed 2% (after the first year or any promos).

Perks, purchase protection, and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum.....Price rewind and extended warranties: Costco.....Travel insurance: Prestige.....Renewal nights: IHG, Hyatt.....Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE.....Taxes/Misc: SPG...Questioning the value of: CSP, Arrival

760ish FICOs...Rebucketing hurts!
Total CL: Enough
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies! I went for the standard it card and was approved with a nice limit, which surprised me in my failry early rebuild

Chapt7 Discharge 3/17
Valued Contributor

It's a good card if you buy gas or eat out.  2% + 2% cashback extra the first year = 4% on those categories.

Congrats!  Remember you can apply for the other card in 12 months and also earn another year long double cashback bonus on the second card.

FICO8 3/17 550EX, 570TU, 559EQ
FICO8 10/17 710EX, 693TU, 734EQ -- almost 700 club!
Gardening since Aug 7, 17
New Contributor
0 Kudos

ABCD2199 wrote:

It's a good card if you buy gas or eat out.  2% + 2% cashback extra the first year = 4% on those categories.

Congrats!  Remember you can apply for the other card in 12 months and also earn another year long double cashback bonus on the second card.

Thanks!  I wasnt aware could look at grabbing a second card from Discover at 12 month mark, I will keep that in mind.

Chapt7 Discharge 3/17
Valued Member
0 Kudos

I was preapproved for the same two cards with a fixed interest rate, but I was hesitant to accept as below it states that it is not a definite approval until they actually pull my credit. My FICO scores have improved to the 690/706 range (from about 630ish), but I still have a paid public record on my report and that was their excuse for turning me down a couple of months ago. Do you think if they say congratulations you are preapproved that I can feel pretty confident?
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

The quarterly adjusting 5% on the it card  is IMHO the best use. You can always get the 2% or better on food/gas using a different card. I use the NFCU Go rewards for restaurants and the PFCU cash rewards for gas and groceries.  

BC Ring 11.5K, BC Arrival+ 9.5k, BC AA Aviator 4K, AKUSA FCU -10k , Comenity Blue Nile 11k, Discover (2) 10k, Kohls-4k, CHASE Amazon Prime VS 500, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, BofA Secured $500, Synchrony Cathay Pacific Visa 6k, Synchrony E-bates Visa $2.4k, PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 18k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards 21.5 k, NFCU Go Rewards 24k , NFCU Flagship 31.5k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $3250, Target 1k, BLIS PAY 5k, Pay Pal 1k, Synchrony Virgin America 6k,CO Venture 23k, 239k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-707, EX 702,TU 715 Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

SlightlyRemoved wrote:
My guess would be that the cards have similar if not the same underwriting & that you could expect similar starting lines. I would suggest the rotating categories on the IT card over chrome for the following reasons: the card is likely to include 5% gas & food at some point in the year, the cashback match effectively makes all category spend 10% vs a flat 2% for gas/food, if the current category isn't gas or dining you will still get 2% on them with match, and lastly if you're spending enough to max out $1500 a quarter on gas and dining alone there are far far better cards to optimize your rewards.

I find the 2% gas and restaurants student card is the easiest. I applied a few months ago and was denied for a DiscoverIt, but was approved a few weeks ago for the gas and restaurant card, which I'll PC to the regular IT anyways. 

Amazon Store Card - 3.7k / AMEX Ameriprise Platinum - NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 3k / AMEX Hilton Honors - 1.2K / Capital One Quicksilver - 15k / Chase Amazon Visa Signature - 3k / Citi ThankYou Premier - 5.6k / Citi AT&T 4.6k / Citi AAdvantage Platinum - 6.5k / Citi Simplicity - 4.6k / Empower MasterCard - 1k / USAA Limitless - 1k (previously 5k) / USAA Rate Advantage - 2k (previously 5k)
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Chickadee1970 wrote:
I was preapproved for the same two cards with a fixed interest rate, but I was hesitant to accept as below it states that it is not a definite approval until they actually pull my credit. My FICO scores have improved to the 690/706 range (from about 630ish), but I still have a paid public record on my report and that was their excuse for turning me down a couple of months ago. Do you think if they say congratulations you are preapproved that I can feel pretty confident?

I am no way an expert on this but can tell you on the more generic pre approval form I had tried in the past too many times it always returned a large spread on the APR. From what I read on here multiple times that was a pretty safe sign of Not being a true pre approval, and to watch out for when see a single APR listed as a valid pre approval.  That seemed to work in my case yesterday, but again just relaying what I have seen on here and my experience. 

Chapt7 Discharge 3/17

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.