Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which will increase my score the most

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which will increase my score the most

I will be left with 2 credit cards with balances. The question is paying more on one than the other better.  I have a 740+ score.I will give the numbers below. 

I have one with a $19,000 balance and credit limit

The other one has a $12,00 limit, but a $11,000 limit.

The first one has a 13% rate the second a 8% rate.  I want to pay off a $1000 from a credit score issue does it make a difference. 

I am and have been current on all my accounts for over 10 years. I have 2 other credit cards that will be completely paid off before I make a payment with a $10,000 and $15,000 empty balance.  I also have a few car repair credit cards that are avaible, but I am not using now.   I realize I should have never got in debt this far, but that is not the question I am asking. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Which will increase my score the most

I'm taking a stab at this but wait for others before making a decision.

I believe it would benefit you most financially to put as much onto the lower interest card as you possibly can. With regards to having a higher score, having all the debt one one card will increase your scores. So it comes down to you...is paying more for a small bump in your score worth it to you? Are you applying for a loan any time soon?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like SA said, I'd wait for others to chime in over me, but most advice here seems to favor getting all cards under 90% util first, then putting everything you can towards the card with the highest interest rate while paying the minimum on everything else. 

Message 3 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have one with a $19,000 balance and credit limit

The other one has a $12,00 limit, but a $11,000 limit.

The typos in the bolded line confuse things a little. Smiley Happy

But without knowing the exact figures, the first thing I'd do is get both cards down to 88.9% utilization or below. And I'd make it a priority to keep them that way. That way, neither card will be maxed.

After that, I'd submit that your options are open.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.