Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would be your choice?

tag
havoc
Valued Member

Since I am pretty much shot on getting C$R for awhile. I am debating on something with the equivalent, have been debating this awhile was just awaiting 5/24 status of C$R. Have narrowed my choices to Amex Platinum, Prestige, or Ritz ($495 version). They all have tsa entry, priority pass, and different levels of travel credit. Then they get a little more in depth.

Amex gives 3 different rental car status, others don't that I have seen. Plus Delta and Centurion lounges. Hilton gold and Starwood gold (not sure if that will transfer to marriott gold after merger). Never used "boingo" wifi so not sure about that value of that one. Already have a PRG so have a good # of MR's already to blend with Platinum.

Prestige since all the cutbacks really only offers that would benefit me would be 4th night free, Which could be huge value, especially with Disney stays at $600 a night (if you can book disney). Have no Citi cards, so Thank You points are new to me and don't really see myself diving into to them to much with the cache of UR's and MR's I have currently.

Which brings us to the Ritz, which honestly in doing research on here seems to get more praise and love than other two combined. People love their Ritz!!!! And I can see why, I like the $100 airline booking credit through infinite, and also the $100 hotel credit on night stays. Highest airline travel credit, and Marriott gold. And also supposedly a highly useful weapon in a dark alley.

So that is my breakdown, will be apping for one or maybe 2, with traveling 4 days a week for business would no issue getting the use and $$$ of annual fees. My question to the community is, if you didn't have any of these 3 cards yet, which would you choose based on your evaluation of the different benefits. I will ultimately decide on which fits my needs the most. Was just curious to see if how you all would choose to use one of these, may be something I have not thought of yet when only looking at the uprfont benefits listed on their respective pages.  Thank You

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which would be your choice?

I recently upgraded my PRG to Platinum as I fly Delta alot and wanted use of their lounge. I also have the Citi Prestige and they make the airline credit so stupid easy, that it really isn't fair to call it a $450.00 AF. It's more like a $200.00 AF. Citi will automatically credit you any airline charge the same statement the charge post's. So I look at it as a $200.00 AF, instead of $450.00. Neither Amex or Ritz are even close when it comes to airline credit. Both make you work for it if you know what I mean. I just appd the Ritz and will give it a try for a year. I'm not certain I can justify it, but as you mentioned, there's very few Ritz CC holder's who aren't extremely satisfied with the benefits they draw from it. With the "3 free night's", and Marriott Gold status, I figure I have nothing to lose to try it for at least a year. Depending upon your airline and hotel needs/preferences, each card can be better or worse than the others. It's all in how and where you use it.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be an easy choice for me. Amex Platinum for sure. Considering they have a Centurion Lounge at SFO and if I was flying 4 days out of the week I would get so much use out of it.
Message 3 of 12
havoc
Valued Member

Very good points on from both of you, thanks for the continued insight, have never been in a Centurion Lounge, but have heard they are unbelievable!!! In doing some further research, I have come across some blogs from people unable to acces the "Priority Pass Select" lounges in the U.S. Has anyone had this issue with any of their memberships, (these were people with Amex Platinums) that were having the issues.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm more of a one big trip a year kind of guy. CSR works very well for me because of all my other cards with chase the earns me pretty good UR points that I can redeem through their portal at 1.5 more. 300 travel credit, global entry, and visa infinite gives me the upper edge I want on my travel needs. I don't really go to the lounges so I won't lose out on the lesser options that they have compared to the platinum.
Message 5 of 12
redpat
Senior Contributor

I love Amex Plat which also includes FHR benefits (daily breakfast & $100 property credit).  I'm considering dropping my Prestige next year because of the loss of AA lounges and thinking of replacing it w/ the Ritz or Citi AA Executive because I can spilt up the annual fee w/ 4-5 others as AUs which they also get access.

The Ritz property credit of $100 is for two night stays not one.  The nice thing about Ritz is 3 club level upgrades so on a two night stay you can get the $100 plus club level.

Ritz's new $100 airline credit is good for only domestic coach fares on purchases of 2 - 5 tickets.  This benefit is great for short flights and with a family that travels a lot could save to bucks.

I would suggest Amex and Ritz.  The nerfing of prestige and the amount of times you can use the 4th night free can limit this perk.

Also, did you try to see if you were pre-approved for CSR at a Chase Branch?  I was 8/24 and got mine through the branch process.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@havoc wrote:

Doesn't really matter.  You need to do the analysis and decide based on your specific requirements.  It's never just about the cards themselves but about how well a given card suits a specific individual's requirements.  None of these are a good fit for me.

@havoc wrote:

Already have a PRG so have a good # of MR's already to blend with Platinum.

Prestige since all the cutbacks really only offers that would benefit me would be 4th night free,

It's not just about how many MR (or any program) points you have.  What value can you get per point with MR?  If you can get good value then MR would make sense for you and that would a significant pro on the side of the Platinum.  Do you have enough spend to split among both MR and TY to support the Presitge?  If not, then seriously consider sticking with MR.

@havoc wrote:

Have no Citi cards, so Thank You points are new to me and don't really see myself diving into to them to much with the cache of UR's and MR's I have currently. 

I take that back.  Do you have enough spend to split up among 3 different programs?  Just one of these typically requires a large amount of spend.  Make sure you're running the numbers all the way from earning points to redeeming for your spend to determine which program(s) suit you.

@havoc wrote:

Which brings us to the Ritz, which honestly in doing research on here seems to get more praise and love than other two combined. People love their Ritz!!!! 

None of that matters.  Don't just follow the herd.  Do your own research.  Understand your needs/wants and use that to select cards that suit you using that information.  Do the math for your spend and how well you can leverage redemption options to help you compare.

Message 7 of 12
havoc
Valued Member

Good info redpat. The closest Chase branch to me is a 5hr round trip not including time spent in bank. Will be back at Disney in Orlando in Oct., and there are  3 branches with 4 miles. So hopefully they haven"t killed the in branch workaround by then.

Message 8 of 12
galahad15
Valued Contributor

My choice would be none of the above -- AFs are a no-go for me, especially the high AFs of all the listed cards.

Message 9 of 12
sccredit
Valued Contributor

If OPs spend pattern and benefits far outweigh the fee then OP comes out ahead.  Just because you can't justify it to yourself doesn't mean that works for everyone.  

@galahad15 wrote:

My choice would be none of the above -- AFs are a no-go for me, especially the high AFs of all the listed cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.