cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would give me a higher chance for a CLI?

tag
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

Which would give me a higher chance for a CLI?

Ive been given a toy limit for my BoA cash rewards card. It's limit is $1500 and I've spent and PIF everything which is $4000 in 4 months... I have a $1400 item I need to purchase which I have cash for, but I will use my CC to purchase it because of the cash rewards! Anyways, which of the following two options will give me a higher chance of an auto CLI? And why?

1). Charge the $1400 to my card, wait until the statement reports a $1400 balance and PIF after statement reports.

2.) Charge the $1400 to my card, PIF immediately via mobile.

(Should be noted I have other CC so if I do option "1" then I would have several cards to use for credit rather than the one card 92.5% used. My total credit limit is around $14,000. so having 1400 report is merely 10% utilization.

Thanks Yall!!!! YeeHaw!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Which would give me a higher chance for a CLI?

Either approach sounds like a good lead in for CLI, option 1 or 2 is not necessarily more likely than the other to prompt an auto increase, a CLI request may be the quickest way to see results, in any case.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 12
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

Ive just asked for a CLI because I spent so much money in so little time, but they said no because my account has only been open for four months. And Im in the garden so auto increase is my only chance until a year from now.

Message 3 of 12
Incredulous
Established Member

I don't think BoA likes giving auto-CLI. I have regularly gone over my monthly credit limit and still not received a CLI. I've had the card for over a year now.

Message 4 of 12
user5387
Valued Contributor

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't BOA know what you've done, whether it reports or not?

Letting it report won't tell BOA anything they don't already know, and maxing a card may hurt your utilization and scores.

Message 5 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Call them and make your case tell them you don't want a hp and you don't want to max out your card either. The worst they can do is say no. IMHO it's worth atry.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No way of knowing for sure, but with an issuer, there should be no difference between letting the balance report and otherwise.   BoA KNOWS how much you put on their card, so if they are looking for high usage, they know that you are doing that.   The reporting balance is more important for other issuers to see your outstanding debt on other cards.

So a) it probably doesn't matter but b) if you have any need to keep the score high this month because of other issuers, then you may want to PIF before the statement cuts.

Edit: Missed user5387's post, which says the same

Message 7 of 12
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

Yea, you would think they would already know what I spend. But I don't want to take the chance when they're overlooking my history to see if I'm worthy of a CLI and say  "Oh gee, why should we give him a CLincrease when his statement reads $0? He's obviously not using his credit card" (despite me spending $1400). I don't know how they calculate who is worthy of a auto credit limit increase but I don't want some lazy worker looking at my statements and basing their decision on that, because that wouldn't be in my favor.

Message 8 of 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Consistent on time payment history and very good use as well as time (unfortunately, sometimes more than a year) will yield a CLI. It takes more than a few months to establish that with any creditor. Follow the advice given and try again in about 6-8 months.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 9 of 12
titanofold
Established Contributor

You might want to try option 3: Pay it over time with large payments.

They might want to make some interest off of you.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.