Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would you close?

tag
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Which would you close?

I would like some advice on which card to close.  I would like to close either the Target Visa or Care Credit.  My card profile is in my siggy.  I would like to mention that in the past 5-6 months I have closed 4 cards (Applied Card, FP, and 2 HSBC cards).  I have also added 2 cards (Amex Dec. 2011 & Barclay March 2012).  Is it too much to close another card right now?  Should I just wait? Also, I have examined my utilization.  On my next CR update (around May 8th), I will have my Citi card down to roughly $2050.  This would put me at 7% utilization with closing Target or 8% utilization closing the Care Credit. I haven't had activity on Care Credit since June of 2011 so they may be closing me soon anyway.  Target I try to use for a small transaction every month but I am wondering if it is worth it.  I haven't done a lot of shopping or anything lately as I am aggressively trying to pay down my Citi balance before my 0% BT offer ends on Sept. 1st. My ultimate goal is to add a Discover card which I may do at or around June depending on my circumstances at that time.  I really only want 1 card from each major issuer and 1 additional card eventually.  Also, I would like to ask if all of this activity with closing and opening accounts is risky behavior to the card issuers. I don't want to inadvertently look like an increased risk. Thanks in advance for your help!

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which would you close?

I don't know anything about Care Credit, but the Target card is great to have around if you ever plan on shopping at Target.  There aren't any fees and you get 5% off everything in the store.  No reason to close that one imo.

Message 2 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I would not close either.   Both could be useful in the future.   And I doubt either one would close it for inactivity unless it went on for a long time.

It should not affect your credit much, regardless of what you choose. 

Message 3 of 4
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Thanks for the feedback wolf & ptr!  I guess my thought process is that I should have a more conservative amount of cards which is why I figure I should nix another one before adding 1 more.  I will say though that my Care Credi account has shown a long stretch of inactivity.  It will be a year in June.  That is why I was thinking out of the two maybe that one should go . I don't make a ton of money and I am wondering at what point my opportunities for getting another credit line or getting a CLD will begin to come into play.  That was another reason for thinking of cutting a line.  I fiigure if I am at my max point, then I need to let something go to gain something else.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.