Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would you keep?

tag
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Which would you keep?

So i have three Amex cards and I want to get rid of two of them but I keep going back and forth. I would appreciate if you guys can help me and give me your opinions. I know that it's ultimately my decision but I want to get your insight.

Amex Blue Cash Preferred-love it but I don't like that it has a 25 dolllar minimum for redemption and it has a 95 dollar annual fee which is about to come up in march/april.

Amex Everyday Preferred-I like this card as well. It has a 1,000 minimum redemption for points which is easy to earn. I upgraded this from the regular everyday version. Now that I come to think about it I know I can do the 30 purchases to get the extra points but I feel like it would be exhausting and feel like a chore. 95 dollar annual fee.

Amex Blue Delta-My only thing with this card is that in order to actually build an amount of miles to actually go on a trip it would probably take a few years unless you get a bonus offer which I did when the card was orginally the Gold delta. I got 60K miles. 0 annual fee.

So which would YOU keep and why? Thanks for your input.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Which would you keep?

Tricky question as you know how it goes with AF cards and the following posters are going to want to know do you spend enough to break even or come out ahead. The other card being MR points, same thing, do you want to utilize MR points. The third probably the same how much you use and for what. Perhaps their is a different Amex product that is better for you. My pick, keep the one you plan on using the mostSmiley Wink.
Message 2 of 5
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

wrote:
Tricky question as you know how it goes with AF cards and the following posters are going to want to know do you spend enough to break even or come out ahead. The other card being MR points, same thing, do you want to utilize MR points. The third probably the same how much you use and for what. Perhaps their is a different Amex product that is better for you. My pick, keep the one you plan on using the mostSmiley Wink.

Well with the Blue cash yes. I have redeemed a lot last year. With the points I'm not too sure considering it's based on points and redemption value varies but I'm more worried about the 30 purchases per month. They both have the same categories. Groceries, gas, and everything else and every category gets used. As far as the blue delta it's restaurants and everything else so gets use as well. I will keep that in mind AJC!

As of 11/28/2018
Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There are a number of things to consider here.  Most importantly, what categories do you spend money on and how much?  How do you use Membership Rewards?  There's also the ages of the accounts you may want to consider.

For the BCP, you can PC that to a no-AF Blue Cash if you still want to get cash back.  But first you should calculate your spending and see if the better cash back for the BCP offsets the AF.

For the EDP, you can PC that to a no-AF ED (or Blue from American Express, which would be a bad idea if you actually use the card).  This one is trickier because you need to figure out what a Membership Reward point is worth to you (for me, they're worth just over 2 cents because I convert them to Starpoints 3:1 and get back 6-7 cents per Starpoint with Marriott redemptions).  If you're using them for something like paying for Amazon purchases (0.7 cents per point) at checkout, a card that earns MRs is probably not for you.  Once you figure out what the points are worth to you, calculate your spend and see if it makes sense to keep it or PC to the regular Everyday card.

Blue Delta - I'm not a fan of the card, but for someone who really wants SkyMiles I think it's not a horrible card to pair with other cards, solely for the restaurant earning.  But of course there are other cards that earn as well or better (for instance, the Amex PRG charge card).  You should decide what your reason for having the Delta card is.  If you fly Delta at least 1 round trip a year, the Gold SkyMiles is a better card.  Travel with a companion at least once a year?  The Platinum likely pays for itself.  You can PC the Delta cards to any other Delta card.

Message 4 of 5
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

I belive K-in-boston just allowed me to answer my own question lol Amex Blue cash preferred it is. 288 cash back in just groceries plus other categories.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.