cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Has Ever Actually Used Their Flex-Spending Feature on VS or WMC?

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Who Has Ever Actually Used Their Flex-Spending Feature on VS or WMC?

Hey guys,

As someone who holds 3 Visa Signatures and 1 World Elite MasterCard I have noticed that these designations are highly sought after on these boards. But I rarely ever hear of anybody actually utilizing the flex-spend feature on their cards. I know I have never even been close to my limits let alone made use of the flex-spend feature. So, how many of you MyFico'ers have made use of their no preset spending limit on these cards and by how much did you go over your designated limit? Thanks!

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Re: Who Has Ever Actually Used Their Flex-Spending Feature on VS or WMC?

Never have, and I don't plan on ever doing it in the future either.

It just seems like one of those features that the lender offers you, but they don't actaully want you to use it.  

You know how it is, some lenders give you a big limit, then get upset when you use it  Same with Balance Transfers and Cash Advances, depending upon the Lender.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder how much they'd let you go over your CL?  I'd never consider it, personally.

Message 3 of 23
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I've only ever heard of one story on here and it was around November of someone running up the card to the max of the flex-spend and it let them double their original limit before cutting the card off and shutting it down I believe. It was a Chase Freedom Visa Signature and the cardholder said he needed the money and it was more important to him than the possible repercussions with the bank. So I believe he was stuck with a card that was cancelled and a large bill. Now obviously he took huge advantage of it and even was pulling small amounts towards the end of the total transaction before it cut off entirely. I believe he said it stopped approving $5k increments so he tried a couple $1k pulls and it went through then finally stopped.

Edit: This was all in one day I believe.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ lmfao i know exactly what situation you're referring to. there was A LOT of moral discussion in that post
Message 5 of 23
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I don't tend to even go above about 8 or 9% utilization on any of my cards before PIFing, so I certainly don't expect to exceed my limit.

I've never actually used any of the benefits of a Visa Sig or WMC/WEMC. I do like the Visa Sig better than the regular Visa though...but it's for one very silly reason: the logo's prettier. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My old Citi Dividend was a World MC with flex spend. The limit, at the time ,was $1200 and wanted to charge school on it for the semester. Total was $1500 and already had a small balance on it. It went through fine. I then went to TacoBell after the school was charged and it was declined. No double decker tacos for me Smiley Sad.

Message 7 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Hey guys,

As someone who holds 3 Visa Signatures and 1 World Elite MasterCard I have noticed that these designations are highly sought after on these boards. But I rarely ever hear of anybody actually utilizing the flex-spend feature on their cards. I know I have never even been close to my limits let alone made use of the flex-spend feature. So, how many of you MyFico'ers have made use of their no preset spending limit on these cards and by how much did you go over your designated limit? Thanks!

In the past 10 years, I have used the flex spend feature of my WMC cards at least twice, but I didn't go over by too much if I'm remembering right, maybe about $100 - $200 or so?

Message 8 of 23
Chris679
Established Contributor

I doubt there are many that use the feauture but this is a forum full of people who love credit cards.  If you come out with a better/flashier/more exclusive card or program with nicer rewards/prettier card/flashier logo/additional benefits then you bet we will be all over it. 

Message 9 of 23
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

I've only ever heard of one story on here and it was around November of someone running up the card to the max of the flex-spend and it let them double their original limit before cutting the card off and shutting it down I believe. It was a Chase Freedom Visa Signature and the cardholder said he needed the money and it was more important to him than the possible repercussions with the bank. So I believe he was stuck with a card that was cancelled and a large bill. Now obviously he took huge advantage of it and even was pulling small amounts towards the end of the total transaction before it cut off entirely. I believe he said it stopped approving $5k increments so he tried a couple $1k pulls and it went through then finally stopped.

Edit: This was all in one day I believe.

LOL, thanks for mentioning this thread. I Googled and found it and it was insanely entertaining and fun to read. It took Herculean effort not to bump it and add my own thoughts at the end, but I thought it better to let sleeping threads lie. Definitely a great read though.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.