Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Should I Apply For Next?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Who Should I Apply For Next?

Thanks for visiting everyone! I have horrible low-limit cards and I need a change to my credit report. I have: American Express Zync - Feb. 2011 (Love this card) $300 Secured BofA - Feb. 2011 $750 Capital One Plat. - July 2010 $750 Capital One Journey - Feb. 2011 $320 First Prem. Bank - Jan. 2010 $420 Orchard - Jan. 2010 $500 Hooters - Feb. 2011 $700 Wells Fargo - Feb. 2011 $750 Walmart - Feb. 2011 $1,300 Citi - July 2009 (Closed by Citi) $3,000 Nordstrom - Jan. 2010 I've been gardening since Feb. Of this year, no more apps till next year in April-ish I want to close First Pre. along with Orchard and a bloomingdales I have, my concern is I don't want many of these cards, I would rather have 5 cards with higher CLs. So my question is, which card should I apply for next? Who tends to give larger CLs? I'm also 20 at the moment and will be 21 in April, it sucks because I would ike to have the opportunity to buy a new computer if I wanted and get some benefits (miles, cash back, etc.) but none of my cards even have a limit that would allow me to purchase something to that extent! Thank you all!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: Who Should I Apply For Next?

It really depends on what your CR looks like. If you already have a zync, what about an Amex card? I would say Citi give pretty generous limits, but that probably isn't feasible b/c of the closed acct. Have you thought of trying cli first?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 20
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
Thanks for visiting everyone! I have horrible low-limit cards and I need a change to my credit report. I have: American Express Zync - Feb. 2011 (Love this card) $300 Secured BofA - Feb. 2011 $750 Capital One Plat. - July 2010 $750 Capital One Journey - Feb. 2011 $320 First Prem. Bank - Jan. 2010 $420 Orchard - Jan. 2010 $500 Hooters - Feb. 2011 $700 Wells Fargo - Feb. 2011 $750 Walmart - Feb. 2011 $1,300 Citi - July 2009 (Closed by Citi) $3,000 Nordstrom - Jan. 2010 I've been gardening since Feb. Of this year, no more apps till next year in April-ish I want to close First Pre. along with Orchard and a bloomingdales I have, my concern is I don't want many of these cards, I would rather have 5 cards with higher CLs. So my question is, which card should I apply for next? Who tends to give larger CLs? I'm also 20 at the moment and will be 21 in April, it sucks because I would ike to have the opportunity to buy a new computer if I wanted and get some benefits (miles, cash back, etc.) but none of my cards even have a limit that would allow me to purchase something to that extent! Thank you all!

What are your scores? Any baddies, or just short history?

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 3 of 20
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Do you have the cash on hand, to pump up a secured card?  

I went the secured card (pumped to 1,500) route to build; and skipped the entire 300 -> 500 unsecured card bracket. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 4 of 20
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

First I would like to apologize to everyone, I did my post on my phone and it was originally supposed to look like this:

Thanks for visiting everyone! I have horrible low-limit cards and I need a change to my credit report. I have:

American Express Zync - Feb. 2011 (Love this card)

$300 Secured BofA - Feb. 2011

$750 Capital One Plat. - July 2010

$750 Capital One Journey - Feb. 2011

$320 First Prem. Bank - Jan. 2010

$420 Orchard - Jan. 2010

$500 Hooters - Feb. 2011

$700 Wells Fargo - Feb. 2011

$750 Walmart - Feb. 2011

$1,300 Citi - July 2009 (Closed by Citi)

$3,000 Nordstrom - Jan. 2010

I've been gardening since Feb. Of this year, no more apps till next year in April-ish I want to close First Pre. along with Orchard and a bloomingdales I have, my concern is I don't want many of these cards, I would rather have 5 cards with higher CLs.

So my question is, which card should I apply for next? Who tends to give larger CLs?

I'm also 20 at the moment and will be 21 in April, it sucks because I would ike to have the opportunity to buy a new computer if I wanted and get some benefits (miles, cash back, etc.) but none of my cards even have a limit that would allow me to purchase something to that extent!

Thank you all!

Message 5 of 20
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
It really depends on what your CR looks like. If you already have a zync, what about an Amex card? I would say Citi give pretty generous limits, but that probably isn't feasible b/c of the closed acct. Have you thought of trying cli first?

I tried to apply for an American Express Mercedes-Benz card but was denied, I read that AmEx likes to see about a year relationship before feeling "lenient"? 

I haven't done CLI on any of my cards except Nordstrom, Wells Fargo does a hard pull and the rep. said they require at least 9-12 months of history before granting a CLI. But I know Wells Fargo will treat me well, that's why I'm so patient with them.

And of course, HSBC gave me $100 CLI, FPB does it once a year, Captial One (theres is automatic?), same goes for Hooters. Wal*Mart, I NEVER shop there, but it was an impulse application, but since they carry Apple products, in the future, I can buy myself something?

Message 6 of 20
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

@SevenNEW wrote:

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

What are your scores? Any baddies, or just short history?

I have Citi Identity Monitor but I know those are "FAKO" scores, they are:

EQ: 630

EX: 646

TU: 645

But of course those aren't accurate, my Wal*Mart account (since now they provide "real" TU scores") shows 710 for TransUnion.

No baddies whatsoever, never missed a payment. Just the apps from back in Feb. for the cards that I got this year. That's all that I can think of being bad.

My UTL is normally <30%, but this current report shows <50%. I made a semi-large purchase, but it'll be back down by next month.

I think the short history is what get's me on the side of not being able to get a decent card?

Message 7 of 20
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

Do you have the cash on hand, to pump up a secured card?  

I went the secured card (pumped to 1,500) route to build; and skipped the entire 300 -> 500 unsecured card bracket. 

I do have some I can toss towards my BofA card, but if I do put extra in it, and when it becomes unsecure, does that mean BofA will match that CL?

Message 8 of 20
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

I've heard that BofA CLIs for secured cards include a Hard Pull (I cannot confirm). But: if they unsecure the card; I imagine the limit would be the same, or higher. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 9 of 20
amp0804
Regular Contributor

honestly i feel like the best advice i can give you at 20 is to stop applying for cards. you have numerous cards opened in 2011 already. i would sit on those for a one year minimum, use them at the most a couple times, pay your bills on time and i garuntee in a year apply with a major bank you will get an instant approval. i know its hard because you want a high limit card too but patience is 100% a virtue.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.