Did you mean: 

Who accepts Discover?

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Who accepts Discover?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

I live between two tourist heavy cities; and although most places are expected to take all four networks, I have noticed that Discover is the one missing if a particular business doesn't accept all of them. Even the podunks in the rural outskirts will usually take AmEx while choosing not to accept Discover for whatever reason. Typically, it's small restaurants and stores that one wouldn't frequent very often that have this problem.

I will say that I believe it's always a bad idea to put up hindrances when people decide to spend money at your business. I am likely to not be a repeat customer if I can't use the card that I want at that moment. I remember reading a post about a business refusing Visa Signature and World (Elite) Mastercards, which I thought was absolutely... incredible. 

Don't see why that is so surprising, merchants have to pay higher fees on Signatures and W(E)MC.  And with recent agreements they are allowed to try to "steer" the customer to a lower cost choice.     Now for many of us here, we will be using a particular card because it gets good rewards in that category, or we need the (potentially) higher CL, or we are meeting minimum spend etc, and would be unhappy at being even asked to consider using another card.    But the vast majority of the public may not know or care, and might be quite willing to help out a small business by switching to a lower cost card.

It should be surprising. Many of us don't carry around Platinum level Visa and MasterCards anymore! If they don't accept Discover/AmEx and now also Visa Signature and W(E)MC, then what the hell do they expect people to use...? Cost of doing business...

Message 21 of 32
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

With the discover card does the card have an actual account number printed or engraved on the card itself? Can you use discover in a website and can you enter the account number if it has one in the website? (i know there has to be an account number with discover account) Reason I am asking is because card offers in the mail have a fake credit card with a bogus number, but in the discover website the cards have no bogus account numbers printed in them in the picture? How can a credit card be in business withut making this an FAQ? Are they too reeeetarded OR I AM THE RETARDED ONE for not having known this?

Message 22 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

I live between two tourist heavy cities; and although most places are expected to take all four networks, I have noticed that Discover is the one missing if a particular business doesn't accept all of them. Even the podunks in the rural outskirts will usually take AmEx while choosing not to accept Discover for whatever reason. Typically, it's small restaurants and stores that one wouldn't frequent very often that have this problem.

I will say that I believe it's always a bad idea to put up hindrances when people decide to spend money at your business. I am likely to not be a repeat customer if I can't use the card that I want at that moment. I remember reading a post about a business refusing Visa Signature and World (Elite) Mastercards, which I thought was absolutely... incredible. 

Don't see why that is so surprising, merchants have to pay higher fees on Signatures and W(E)MC.  And with recent agreements they are allowed to try to "steer" the customer to a lower cost choice.     Now for many of us here, we will be using a particular card because it gets good rewards in that category, or we need the (potentially) higher CL, or we are meeting minimum spend etc, and would be unhappy at being even asked to consider using another card.    But the vast majority of the public may not know or care, and might be quite willing to help out a small business by switching to a lower cost card.

It should be surprising. Many of us don't carry around Platinum level Visa and MasterCards anymore! If they don't accept Discover/AmEx and now also Visa Signature and W(E)MC, then what the hell do they expect people to use...? Cost of doing business...

OK, it's surprising if they actually refuse rather than steer.    But I don't know how common it is for the general population to have lower-level cards.  After all, most of them are not phoning every few days asking to be upgraded to Sig/W(E)MC  !   And three of my cards are the basic level

Message 23 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

OK, it's surprising if they actually refuse rather than steer.    But I don't know how common it is for the general population to have lower-level cards.  After all, most of them are not phoning every few days asking to be upgraded to Sig/W(E)MC  !   And three of my cards are the basic level

Regulators (did their Interns come up with this stuff?) simply don't understand how quickly the private sector adapts.  Just like in CA, when miles driven were used in premium pricing, everyone simply lied and reported driving lesser miles, nullifying the policy.  Eventually, every Issuer will just issue more higher tiered cards to render this policy equally meaningless.

Message 24 of 32
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Found out yesterday,  Bojangles Fried Chicken doesn't, but they took my Amex.

Message 25 of 32
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

I would expect a large number of people to not care what kind of Visa and/or MasterCard they have when it comes to acceptance (regardless of whether or not they requested it), which would be all the more contemptible of a business to restrict certain Visas and Mastercards. I'm sure customers would look at the owner/register clerk as if they were a bumbling idiot to argue with them over a distinction like that. I mean, could you imagine that kind of explanation? "Oh, yes we accept Visa and Mastercards, but only if they are Platinum or Gold or a lower level." Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

deleted

Message 27 of 32
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Almost every place accepts Visa and Mastercard - stores, online shopping, etc. What about discover? Is discover like a bank or is it like a NETWORK similar to VISA or Mastercard. Is discover accepted almost everywhere too???

Discover is a network and a bank. As far as acceptance goes I find it accepted mostly everywhere in NYC except for a few places that take only Mastercard and Visa but I would put that as 1% tops in the city... Rural areas probably a bit higher.*

*excludes places like Costco since they signed an exclusive agreement with Amex or soon Citi and Visa

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Discover for everything and the only two times it wasn't accepted was at one off restaurants with my girlfriend. 

Waiter:  "Sir, we've swiped your card several times and it's being declined, do you have another card." (Not even looking at the card, thinking I've gone over the limit)

Me: "Do you accept Discover?" (Trying to clarify because I know I have over $8,000 in available)

Waiter: "Only Visa or Mastercard sir, sorry for the inconvenience." (Realizing the mistake with an apologetic expression)

Moral of the story, I ask at every restaurant when I pay if they accept Discover.  My Discover was given the nickname "that card nobody accepts"

Message 29 of 32
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Almost every place accepts Visa and Mastercard - stores, online shopping, etc. What about discover? Is discover like a bank or is it like a NETWORK similar to VISA or Mastercard. Is discover accepted almost everywhere too???

Discover is a network, and also a bank that issues cards (Amex is also both).     In the US, almost as many places accept Discover as accept MasterCard/Visa, with Amex quite a bit behind.     But this is based on number of businesses, and you may never shop at one of the small stores that doesn't accept a particular card.    But here (MA) I go to places that accept all but Amex, or all but Discover, but most big places will take all 4.

That's interesting.  I always thought Amex was more widely accepted than Discover.  I guess i depends on where you are and the type of business you're doing.  Amex has its roots in business travel customers so for someone who travels frequently that's a good choice.  In my experience, non-chain restaurants are the most likely to not accept either Amex and/or Discover.

I'm basing it on these slightly old figures (be interetsing to see the 2015 ones).   

BN-EH547_0828di_G_20140828081204.jpg

Thanks, longtimelurker. I was going to post a similar graph if you hadn't. You saved me having to go hunt for it.

Statistically, yes, as the graph shows, Discover has nearly the acceptance of MC and Visa. I live in a small town, though, and I find that many smaller merchants (particularly restaurants) take only MC and Visa. My guess is that in urban areas Discover is as ubiquitous as MC and Visa, and where it falls down a bit is in places like the one I live in.

Discover It is still one of my two favorite cards, though.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.