cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who all offers Price Protection on their cards?

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Who all offers Price Protection on their cards?

I recently used this little gem of a benefit on my Discover card and was curious as to who else offered it? I also noticed that Citi offers a similar benefit with "Citi Price Rewind". 

Does anyone else offer this? And is one superior to the other?

Discover was a bit of a pain since I had to call in and request that they send a paper form. But I guess they need you to do a little legwork otherwise it'd get abused too easily.

Whereas with Citi is looks like you can register your purchase online, though I have no experience with it as to whether it's any easier. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: Who all offers Purchase Protection on their cards?

Not sure about which one is the best but the CSP was awesome. I bought a Nexus phone and about two months after I got it, I dropped it and the glass face shattered. It cost nearly 300 dollars to get it fixed. I scanned in the form and the reciept and got paid within a 10 days. Pretty painless and simple.  

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Who all offers Purchase Protection on their cards?

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Not sure about which one is the best but the CSP was awesome. I bought a Nexus phone and about two months after I got it, I dropped it and the glass face shattered. It cost nearly 300 dollars to get it fixed. I scanned in the form and the reciept and got paid within a 10 days. Pretty painless and simple.  

I think almost every card offers i know my CSP, Amex EDP/BCE, and discover all offer an form of it. I think that Amex is the only that doesn't outsource it to an third party i believe. I haven't used the service but i know i have it. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Re: Who all offers Price Protection on their cards?

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

No, I don't mean protection for if your item is damaged. I mean price protection. As in, say you bought an item at $250, but then a month later you see it's dropped to $175. Discover and Citi are the only two I know of that offer a price match. Citi's is 60 days at $250 max while Discover's is 90 days at $500 max.

Did a little more searching and saw that Citi Rewind checks automatically--all you have to do is put in all the info from your purchase. This sounds convenient, but I wonder just how good their "automatic search" is. Or if you're better off doing it yourself.

I'm going to be making a few more big X-mas purchases on Amazon, and since I get 5x on my Discover and Citi, I wasn't sure which one provided the best benefit. Since I haven't tried Citi, I guess I'll play it safe and load more on my Discover. 

I read that Amex used to offer it, but stopped in 2006 because people were milking it too much to save from price fluctuations on flights.

It's definitely a cool benefit and I heard some people were actually able to get Discover to match black friday deals, so long as they purchased the exact same model TV, or what-have-you beforehand and then price-matching with the Black Friday ad. 

Neat benefit to explore, just hope it isn't abused and cause other card issuers to stop like Amex apparently did.

I have both Chase Freedom and CSP and didn't see anything about Price protection in my card membership, though I could have missed it.

*Edited title to make less confusing. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikelo22 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

It's definitely a cool benefit and I heard some people were actually able to get Discover to match black friday deals, so long as they purchased the exact same model TV, or what-have-you beforehand and then price-matching with the Black Friday ad. 

Good way to avoid that disaster of a shopping holiday.

Message 5 of 9
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Yeah, I wish I had known about it sooner. Apparently Citi's service also matched Black Friday deals according to posts I've been reading on other forums. Definitely something I'm going to remember next time around. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikelo22 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

No, I don't mean protection for if your item is damaged. I mean price protection. As in, say you bought an item at $250, but then a month later you see it's dropped to $175. Discover and Citi are the only two I know of that offer a price match. Citi's is 60 days at $250 max while Discover's is 90 days at $500 max.

Did a little more searching and saw that Citi Rewind checks automatically--all you have to do is put in all the info from your purchase. This sounds convenient, but I wonder just how good their "automatic search" is. Or if you're better off doing it yourself.

I'm going to be making a few more big X-mas purchases on Amazon, and since I get 5x on my Discover and Citi, I wasn't sure which one provided the best benefit. Since I haven't tried Citi, I guess I'll play it safe and load more on my Discover. 

I read that Amex used to offer it, but stopped in 2006 because people were milking it too much to save from price fluctuations on flights.

Neat benefit to explore, just hope it isn't abused and cause other card issuers to stop like Amex apparently did.

I have both Chase Freedom and CSP and didn't see anything about Price protection in my card membership, though I could have missed it.

You missed it

Freedom does NOT have price protection.  CSP does.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits

Up to $500/report up to $2500 a year

Message 7 of 9
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

You missed it

Freedom does NOT have price protection.  CSP does.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits

Up to $500/report up to $2500 a year

Ah, thanks for that! I blame not having my contacts in for missing it. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 9
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

Yup. In fact, I am in the process of taking advantage of this with Discover with one of my holiday purchases right now - something I bought for $160 was on sale for $80 (of course that only lasted about an hour before they went out of stock), but no matter, Discover is still price matching it! I love Discover!

As far as I can tell, Citi and Discover are unique in offering this protection, and Discover's is better if you are willing to do the legwork.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.