Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who decides Credit Steps Increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who decides Credit Steps Increase?

I know it says I will receive a set increase after five on-time payments to Cap One (did that). Is the actual dollar amount decided by a human or is it generated electronically? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who decides Credit Steps Increase?

I would guess it's a computer algorithm. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

100% computer.
Message 3 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure there's some guy sitting in the basement at capital one that runs through everyone accounts and decides CLI's or it could be the consensus computer algorithms. My money's on the computer but I'd like to think it's that guy.

Message 4 of 8
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

I'm pretty sure there's some guy sitting in the basement at capital one that runs through everyone accounts and decides CLI's or it could be the consensus computer algorithms. My money's on the computer but I'd like to think it's that guy.

I hear if you happen to have opened your card on his birthday he automatically gives you an extra 10K! 

(J/k obviously Smiley Tongue)

I'm pretty sure it's an algorithm based on your income, credit score, and overall credit history, plus most likely some type of internal algorithm Capital One uses.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kevin it's actually not that complicated. It's just internal scoring. If your card was opened with a $300 SL then your CLI will bring you to no less than $500. If your SL was $500 it'll bring you to no less than $800.
Message 6 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure 100% it's a computer algorithm, as well. Based on how much you use it, how you use it, how you pay it, your credit history once obtaining the card, etc... who knows what else they use. lol
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going ton parrott the above posters, however I will offer my insight as well. Although, capital one gives you a number they say you will receive, that number can change. Here is my reasoning.

I opened a CO platinum on 3/10/16 with a SL of $500, received email on 4/12/16 that said after 5 more on time payments I would receive $250 for a total of $750.

I used my card for small purchases and paid down to about 9% Balance for the April and May statements. On May 7th 3 days before my closing date I was able to PC to a QS MC 1.5% cash back no AF.

After that time I began to run the card very hard charging it to 90% and PIF every couple of days. I asked for a CLI on 5/18/16 and CO rewarded me with a $1,000 CLI to bump my total to $1,500.

I was actually on the phone with capital one the other day after getting the CLI, for verification I called to make sure I would still receive credit steps. The nice lady I was on the phone with told me I was still in credit steps and as long as I paid everything on time for 4 more months I was going to receive a $500 CLI.

So what I am thinking is your credit steps increase is based on yourandom income, your credit score, and in internal algorithm based off of your spending.

I am definetly going to put it to the test as I continue to charge.my card up to 90% and PIF every so often and leave a balance about 9% at statement cut.

I am hoping to see another credit line increase for my steps at least as large as the one I got from the luv button.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.