cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who does penfed pull for membership?

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Who does penfed pull for membership?

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
Not sure if you are interested or not, but I figured I'd just throw it out there anyway.

NFCU has great rates also, and seems to have pretty lenient lending standards if you or someone you are related to has a military affiliation.

They throw money around like a drunk sailor. Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@scapegrace13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
PenFed pulls equifax exclusively...and even on just setting up a savings account.

FWIW, I was told by the PenFed CSR with whom I applied over the phone that for JUST doing the savings account join-up, the inq was only a soft one.

Unfortunately, I ended up not being able to resist trying for one of their CC's, so I can't confirm that this would have been the case.

Thrasher, if you're willing to just join up for now, with only the savings account, and to take that EQ hard inq later on when you want to apply for a cc, call them and ask them about their inqs for savings account-only join-ups - maybe the CSR I spoke to is correct and they only soft you in that situation.
I think your CSR dropped the ball on that one, or you got lucky, one or the other. I joined PenFed on a Thursday (gave 'em $50 instead of $5, because I was so excited!), and I didn't app for the card and the car loan until Saturday. The hard inq is on Friday, and I saw it before I called on Saturday. I think every other post I've read has said the same. Congrats if you pulled it off!

When I joined on the Thursday, I did it on line, and they did not have any way of knowing that I planned on getting the card.

thrasher, since you've joined, and I think you said that you have TrueCredit now, do you see a hard on EQ? If they did hard you, you can try waiting until day 89 or something, when presumably this pull will still be good, and app for the card then. But if you're going to try to do it that soon after your recent successful hunts, you'll have to cease apping for the duration...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

This is the extent of the cards I want in my wallet.  If I had the choice, I would have never gotten the AMEX and would pick this and the REI visa up instead, as I'll rarely use the AMEX.  Although, I figure using the Freedom card's option to collect $200 in CB and have a check for $250 sent to me, essentially its a minimum of 1.25% CB, the same as the PenFed.  I don't spend a lot on gas...  So the Freedom card might actually net me more cash back than the penfed when I think about it.  In that case, I wasted a hard for the app, but I might still set up a money market savings account unless I can find better savings account rates somewhere local.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 19
Scamp
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think your CSR dropped the ball on that one, or you got lucky, one or the other. I joined PenFed on a Thursday (gave 'em $50 instead of $5, because I was so excited!), and I didn't app for the card and the car loan until Saturday. The hard inq is on Friday, and I saw it before I called on Saturday. I think every other post I've read has said the same. Congrats if you pulled it off!

When I joined on the Thursday, I did it on line, and they did not have any way of knowing that I planned on getting the card.

Ah - thanks for this info, HTSU; if you've posted this same info before, I missed it, and since nobody else had been able to refute what my PenFed CSR said about softs for savings accounts-only join-up, I felt obligated to keep mentioning the possibility, when appropriate.

Oh, well - now I know better and that even PenFed's CSR's ain't poyfect!  Smiley Tongue

Sorry, thrasher!

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 14 of 19
deskjockey101
Valued Member

FWIW, when I joined PenFed today, they said that they had pulled hard for my savings account. Smiley Sad I had not realized they were going to do that.. I was going to wait until next month when I paid my GEMB card down to 9% Util and two inq's from it were going to stop effecting the score... So I applied for 10,000 today and am waiting.. when I followed up via phone (online said I had a pending status), they said I will know by tomorrow. I'm lucky - we have a PenFed in my city (right across from USAA Smiley Very Happy )
FICOs: EQ-780 TU-752 EX-777

Citi TY 12k; RBFCU Preferred MC 12k; USAA AmEx $9200; HomeDepot 16k; Barclays Apple $7700; RBFCU LoC 1k; Kohls 1k; Target Red $700
Message 15 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I think I'm gonna stick to Chase Freedom for now.  The rewards on the platinum cashback card at PenFed looked so appealing, but I wasn't sure if it was enough to cancel out the extra $50 you get whenever you save $200 in CB with Freedom.  My figures are based on what I put through my Amex last month.  Here are the results of my analysis:

Freedom:

$250 in gas / month
@ 3%
= $7.50 / month

$325 in groceries / month
@ 3%
= $9.75 / month

$500 in other expenses / month
@ 1%
= $5.00 / month

Total: $22.25 / month

PenFed

gas @ 5% - $12.50
groceries @ 2% - $6.50
other @ 1.25% - $6.25

Total: $25.25 / month

It would take 9 months to save up $200 on the Freedom, so after nine months, here are the balances:

Freedom - $200.25 cashback + $50 bonus = $250.25
PenFed - $227.25

So there you have it.  Another one of the great features of credit cards: tracking your spending Smiley Happy

Now I know not to ding my scores and chances of an AMEX FR.  It looks like the difference between the two cards is almost negligible.  $23 over the course of nine months.  So I decided I dont need the card.

I still am gonna open a MM savings account with them since I already got the hard pull for membership.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 19
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Smart choice thrasher. Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 19
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

thrasher865 wrote:
I think I'm gonna stick to Chase Freedom for now.  The rewards on the platinum cashback card at PenFed looked so appealing, but I wasn't sure if it was enough to cancel out the extra $50 you get whenever you save $200 in CB with Freedom.  My figures are based on what I put through my Amex last month.  Here are the results of my analysis:

Freedom:

$250 in gas / month
@ 3%
= $7.50 / month

$325 in groceries / month
@ 3%
= $9.75 / month

$500 in other expenses / month
@ 1%
= $5.00 / month

Total: $22.25 / month

PenFed

gas @ 5% - $12.50
groceries @ 2% - $6.50
other @ 1.25% - $6.25

Total: $25.25 / month

It would take 9 months to save up $200 on the Freedom, so after nine months, here are the balances:

Freedom - $200.25 cashback + $50 bonus = $250.25
PenFed - $227.25

So there you have it.  Another one of the great features of credit cards: tracking your spending Smiley Happy

Now I know not to ding my scores and chances of an AMEX FR.  It looks like the difference between the two cards is almost negligible.  $23 over the course of nine months.  So I decided I dont need the card.

I still am gonna open a MM savings account with them since I already got the hard pull for membership.

very interesting.. if only I was able to deduct EXACT, specific figures of my monthly usage like THAT! i would be better off.............. nah, too much time consuming, I rather stare at the screen here at myfico =P
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I travel abroad, PenFed is the better of the 2 cards for me... and I have both. I actually get .25% more with PenFed and 2% less with Chase.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.