Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else have no store cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who else have no store cards?

I have a total of 10 cards: AMEX Blue and AMEX Sky, BOA AMEX, ATT Universal, PenFed Rewards, Discover More, Chase Freedom, USAA Platinum, Citi Platinum and Walmart Discover.

I do not like store cards- not just because of the high interest rates. 

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Who else have no store cards?

Well, I have the Home Depot card hanging around from my credit rebuilding days but it doesnt get much play. Maybe for some light bulbs or nails. Always PIF.

I have no real desire for store cards either.

Message 2 of 45
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Walmart is the only store card I want for free fico

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 3 of 45
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a total of 10 cards: AMEX Blue and AMEX Sky, BOA AMEX, ATT Universal, PenFed Rewards, Discover More, Chase Freedom, USAA Platinum, Citi Platinum and Walmart Discover.

You have Walmart, that is 1/2 store card.   Do you not like it?

Message 4 of 45
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

The store cards I have are because of their benefits and rewards.  Nordstrom for the rewards to earn Nordstrom Notes to spend, Target for the 5% off every purchase, Walmart for the free Fico, Victoria's Secret for the rewards to earn Angel Cards to spend, and Home Depot for the 0% financing whenever there is a household need.  I have JC Penney too.  Don't really know why I have that one.  I rarely use it.  I like that I can use it at CVS and Rite Aid though. LOL.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 45
dpechal
Regular Contributor

I dont have any and I wont ever get one. 

Now don't get me wrong, people with store cards have every right to have one, they just aren't for me I'd rather just use one of my CC's.

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 6 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To me its a Discover card because it offers some of the same features of a regular Discover card.  The store card is basic. 

Message 7 of 45
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

To me store cards, if used correctly, are great to have.

I use store cards for their free interest promotions for larger purchases. Firestone Card = 6 months no interest for car repairs or tires over $249. Amazon has great extended payment offers as standard fare, $149 = 6 months, $499 = 12 months and there are 24 month plans/offers for TV's and other large purchases. Walmart store card = free FICO and "free" cash at the register up to $60. Dell offers extended payments at 0% APR offers, etc.  

The "got ya" on these offers is if you don't pay in full by the end of the promotion or make your basic monthly payments they charge you interest (and its a fairly high rate of 24% -30%). I generally pay these extended offers off in 3-4 months, even the 12 month plans, but still its nice to have the option of extended payments at no interest.

Message 8 of 45
learnin113
Established Contributor

I have plenty of store cards...Gap Visa, Walmart Discover, VS.  They all serve a purpose.  I dont think they make me any less of a personSmiley Tongue

Message 9 of 45
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To me its a Discover card because it offers some of the same features of a regular Discover card.  The store card is basic. 

So why not get a regualr Discover onlly, so you can be pure in your dislike for store cards?

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.