cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else wishes Discover had better Card Designs?

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Who else wishes Discover had better Card Designs?

I give them a lot of credit, at least they have options.  With some rare exceptions you get whatever the design is, at least Discover gives you options.

Message 11 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover has more options than any other card company...

Also they have Black Glow, Black Monogram, Discover More Platinum Design, Discover Open Roads Platinum Design for those who want a plainer card.

I'm really not sure that I agree with the OP. Discover does a good job of giving options.   I have the Tiger in Snow design, and I like the design, very unique.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

Do they have a plain design anymore?   I do not like cutesy designs on credit cards.  I like interesting or serious-looking designs.  Not necessarily plain and boring, but something classic.

There are several plain designs available. There is one called black glow which is simple, there are several skyline  (NY and Chicago) and scenic (mountains, sunset, beach) and some that are reprints of famous artwork. In addition the traditional grey and orange cards are both still available.  I would not consider any of those choices as "cutesy", although they offer plenty of designs that are.

I actually think there is some design out there that should please most people if you look at them all.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 13 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@SanityKills wrote:

I do like the idea behind Capital One's app where you can upload your own design during the application.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a photo as much as you could upload a background or texture.  Unfortunately, I refuse to go Capital One.

There are other CC providers that offer this as well. FNBO is one example.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 14 of 25
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I wish Discover had a better card in general, never mind the design.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@clocktick wrote:

I wish Discover had a better card in general, never mind the design.

Discover's card is a very basic card, not a lot of frills and/or benefits, just a good general utility card.  The thing that makes them worthwile is the CSRs and the fact that they will give you good promos

FICO 9:

Message 16 of 25
Carbon44
Contributor

I agree with a lot that is being said, but I still disagree on some aspects. For one, I agree with those of you who have said Discover has many more choices then most credit card companies to choose from. However, I don't find their normal looking credit cards to be a wow factor. Just for example with Chase the Saphire Preferred a higher end card is made of metal and is a Visa Signature or the One Pass Plus being a higher up card looks very rich looking (no pun intended) with  the Silver MasterCard logo and being World Elite, also just the card itself. Discover you have no differientation of what is a higher end card and what is not because it is all treated the same. Many may like this and I can see why, but it just feels good when you have a higher end card because you are credit worthy of it and the benefits are added from just a basic card. I don't mean to come off in anyway like I am some high spending rich person who has all high up cards because I don't, but I hope I will one day have a Visa Signature and World Elite (hopefully by early 2013), but I just wish Discover had certain cards to meet certain target markets like some other companies do.  Once again this is not a bash to Discover 

Someone did make a comment that Discover you go into it not for the cards, but for the CSR's and promotions and I agree 100%. Both the CSR's and promotions Discover runs are amazing, I just wish they had some higher up cards since they are their own unlike say Cti or Chase who has Visa & Mastercard

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Message 17 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that for some people a higher end card made of metal is their thing because it makes them feel good about themselves. Not sure this is the type of customer thaat discover as a company is trying to attract. They want the more average american with an average income and who tendfs to revolve a balance. They aren't as a company trying to compete on the basis of credit card as a status symbol. If card design or composition is a big deal, you'll probably be happier doing business with someone besides discover for your everyday card.

People who love discover like it for functionality.
FICO 9:

Message 18 of 25
bribro
Valued Contributor

What kind of promos does Discover give out?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 19 of 25
john398
Senior Contributor

I think they should hook up with 6 flags (6 flags already offers a 5% off w discover card) and see if they can offer a Bugs Bunny card or something similar

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.