Did you mean: 

Who has 5 cards or fewer?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Who has 5 cards or fewer?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Simba501 wrote:

It seems like the majority of people around here have tons of cards.  Personally, I would find their management to be tedious.  I set a hard limit of 5 cards to have.  I currently have 4 and have considered closing one lol.  I'm currently holding out for one final card - probably the Double Cash.

Who else has 5 or fewer cards?  And if they're not in your signature, what are they?

People here seem to have lots of cards but that is because it is a self-selecting group of those interested in credit cards!  Nationally:

A Gallup survey conducted in April 2014 found that the average number of credit cards Americans say they carry is at an all-time low. According to the Gallup survey, the average number of cards owned by all Americans -- including those with no credit cards -- is 2.6. Among Americans with credit cards, the average number of cards owned is 3.7. The percentage of Americans who have no credit cards rose to 29 percent in 2014, up from 22 percent in 2008.

Among the other 2014 findings:

• 33 percent had one to two cards.
  • 18 percent had three to four cards.
  • 9 percent had five to six cards.
  • 7 percent had seven or more cards.

From http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/ownership-statistics-charts-1276.php

So MyFico is very unrepresentative

Wow... and here I was thinking having 10 CC accounts was small compared to people around here that have 20-40-60 cards... LOL

10 is enough for me... I had 9, closed 3, then opened 4.  I have my profile where I want it with accounts I actually use.  I gardened for 2014 prior to my 4 new account spree last week... and am doing the same for 2015 and will reevaulate my profile at the end of the year.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 126
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

I have 3 total - and one is pretty much for my business.  I'm pretty much maximizing my rewards and like you say having more would just be tedious for me.

Yes, yours is a very nice minimalist set!

Message 12 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently have five, chopping it down to four in May. Either Im approved for Ink and close Freedom/Sapphire or Im denied for some reason and close Freedom. There will be enough diversity with the four. Cant see myself trying to manage a spreadsheet full of cards Smiley Very Happy But its a personal comfort thing as others seem to manage well enough
Message 13 of 126
taxi818
Super Contributor

I really don't think it is hard to manage as most think. I font have a spreadsheet. Most cards zero balance. So I only focus on who I gave balance with. There us n magicL pop up balances. So I manage 3-4 tops. Even I have 15. 

Message 14 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, lets say its easy peasy. In that case I dont find it necessary to have more than a few cards based on my needs and spending habits. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 126
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, lets say its easy peasy. In that case I dont find it necessary to have more than a few cards based on my needs and spending habits. Smiley Happy

Really it's just a utilization cushion. When the times  I want to carry say. 5-10k balances. It will still keep me under 20%

Message 16 of 126
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Really it's just a utilization cushion. When the times  I want to carry say. 5-10k balances. It will still keep me under 20%

Right, but does utilization matter that much?  Yes, at higher levels scores decrease but if you aren't apping, that doesn't matter either.   Most people in the "real world" don't even know the concept of utilization and seem to get on fine!

Message 17 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

It kinda matters to me. Not for maximum score purposes Id just prefer not to have a large amount of debt so it stays below 10%.
Message 18 of 126
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It kinda matters to me. Not for maximum score purposes Id just prefer not to have a large amount of debt so it stays below 10%.

But if not for scoring purposes, and you don't want a large amount of debt, isn't it the actual amount that matters.  So if you owe $5K, it doesn't matter if it is 20% or 0.001% of available credit.   If  you don't want a large amount of debt AND you want to keep it under 10%, then you certainly don't want CLIs or cards with high CLs.

Message 19 of 126
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I definitely have more than 5, however, I dont really use more than 2 or 3.  I could close some, Ive just never felt the need to do so.  

Message 20 of 126
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.