Who has 5 cards or fewer?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Who has 5 cards or fewer?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, lets say its easy peasy. In that case I dont find it necessary to have more than a few cards based on my needs and spending habits. Smiley Happy

Really it's just a utilization cushion. When the times  I want to carry say. 5-10k balances. It will still keep me under 20%

Right, but does utilization matter that much?  Yes, at higher levels scores decrease but if you aren't apping, that doesn't matter either.   Most people in the "real world" don't even know the concept of utilization and seem to get on fine!

This  is true. I think I will just take break a couple years. Get some age. Then see where the chips fall afterward. 

Message 21 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry let me clarify. Im not personally comfortable with having more than 1k in debt at any time. For my total available credit that amount or less happens to always be under 10%. Not that 1k is necessarily a large amount in general but to me its large enough Smiley Happy My fault for any possible confusion.
Message 22 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Simba501 wrote:

It seems like the majority of people around here have tons of cards.  Personally, I would find their management to be tedious.  I set a hard limit of 5 cards to have.  I currently have 4 and have considered closing one lol.  I'm currently holding out for one final card - probably the Double Cash.

Who else has 5 or fewer cards?  And if they're not in your signature, what are they?

I primilary uses ML Amex and Barclay's (if merchant banned amex) only, actually shredded my other cards (still vividly remember the sound the shredder made when "eating" the sapphire card ... broken)

At one point I was willing to do the math and spend only certain cetegory on a corresponding credit card maximize the rewards, very enthusiastic about it too.

But now, I kinda don't care anymore because it's too much time and commitment ... just personally speaking

Message 23 of 126
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, lets say its easy peasy. In that case I dont find it necessary to have more than a few cards based on my needs and spending habits. Smiley Happy

Really it's just a utilization cushion. When the times  I want to carry say. 5-10k balances. It will still keep me under 20%

+1 Pretty much.

Though I've never want 20 cards. Already at like 15 right now.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 24 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2. waiting to confirm 3rd tho.
Message 25 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not I
Message 26 of 126
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I want 5, maybe 6 max, dunno, but legacy is sd, so I'm only using three right now. And of those, I mainly use two. Even though I want to add to the collection, I COULD just garden until September, October 2015.
Signature needs updating
Message 27 of 126
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I have five of my own. received three new cards in 2014. And hope to keep at that level. Unless an extraordinary cash back card comes along.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 28 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have three. With plans to add two more eventually: Chase Mariott Premier and SallieMae

Message 29 of 126
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

6 here but i want to close one or 2 of them

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 30 of 126
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.