cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has had a Discover Secured card graduate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who has had a Discover Secured card graduate?

I've had my secured Discover a couple months. I want to add more money to it but I'm leary unless it has a very good chance of graduating.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

Re: Who has had a Discover Secured card graduate?

I have. And I don't think that you're able to add more money to increase your secured limit. Or, at least that was not an option a couple years ago. 

Message 2 of 14
smith5879
New Contributor

My girlfriend's graduated at the one year mark, this past February. She had the smallest amount you could put down for collateral, which was $200. As long as you don't accrue any new derogs and pay on time every month, they'll probably graduate your card as well.

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RandomSpirit wrote:

I have. And I don't think that you're able to add more money to increase your secured limit. Or, at least that was not an option a couple years ago. 

As of May 2015 the Secured Card now has the ability to add additional funds to increase your CL.

OP: I just got mine in October, so I can't be of much help but I have read other threads here where people have reported graduation of their cards. Some reported that their CLs stayed the same, while others reported a CLI upon graduation. YMMV

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 1 year will hit on 11/23/15. Hoping for graduation and will update whether it does or doesn't. Smiley Happy

Just as an FYI, I did call at the very end of last month and asked if they were able to give me any promotional APR reduction such as 0% interest which they did for 12 months. I don't know if every secured member is eligible from the get-go or if it's because I'm close to the 1 year mark. Doesn't hurt to ask with the holidays upon us.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jupiter Moon thanks a lot for the heads up I'll try it! I don't really carry a balance on it ever but that would be nice! And definitely update us I'm very curious. Seems most do graduate.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RandomSpirit wrote:

You can add money to your secured limit because I have. Opened the card in July with a SL of $200 added $550 the same week i received the card. 

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My 1 year will hit on 11/23/15. Hoping for graduation and will update whether it does or doesn't. Smiley Happy

Just as an FYI, I did call at the very end of last month and asked if they were able to give me any promotional APR reduction such as 0% interest which they did for 12 months. I don't know if every secured member is eligible from the get-go or if it's because I'm close to the 1 year mark. Doesn't hurt to ask with the holidays upon us.

I received this same offer last month too. Although I only use this card for gas and food purchases Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 14
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I haven't even had my first statement cut on my Discover it Secured yet and I just requested the promotion over chat and she came back and said 0% for 12 months on new purchases! Discover for the win again. I can't even believe how amazing they've been. They have a customer in me for life. Absolutely.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smith, what did they increase her limit to?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.