cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has received a $5k+ Capital One CLI?

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who has received a $5k+ Capital One CLI?

keep your eyes on the hhonors they should eventually offer u 50k hhonors points to upgrade to the surpass, i think that is still going on? and folks were at one time able to upgrade then downgrade and repeat.  (of course getting the surpass when it has the 100k bonus is not a bad idea)

I would advocate you not incur another 3 inquiries just to get a venture.  The days where everyone got huge limits are fading....last year was the time to double app for venture and quicksilver now you cannot combine apps.  Granted you would get the $400 travel bonus, you would be better off combining it into other cap1 cards to avoid the 59 fee as a regular 2% card has less restrictions and no fee.  Have you checked capital one for prequalified offers?  You may be in a situation where capital one is your only option aside from a credit union.  In that case, the inquiries wont matter later.

Plus your scores are on the upswing, got some cards with great limits, and when that disco is unsecured, it should hopefully grow with you over time.

Is there anything specific holding down your equifax score?

No, in fact... I had a post on here a few months back about the fact that my profiles are identical with technically Equifax being my best. Slightly longer AAOA, less inquiries and I've scoured each account to make sure the old paid off items aren't reporting badly. There has been no way to figure out why my Equifax score is 50 points lower than Experian. You put them side by side and they are identical in every way.

The "big" problem that is holding down my scores is $80k in tax leins from a failed family business in 2010. I am on the cusp of an IRS settlement which will make them at least show paid in full until they fall off in a few years.... but they are what causes me to not be in the 700s. American Express didn't give two rips about the tax leins where pretty much every other person states it as the sole reason for denying me credit.

I try to take the whole thing with a positive attitude.. considering 2 years ago this month I had low 500 scores and started on a journey of paying off all the chargeoffs from the failed business and getting my first $300 secured capital one card. 2 years later I am in great shape and while we realized the family business investment wasn't the best decision of my life, I know have a 6 figure income and plenty of stability.... the scores will climb over time just as they have in the last 2 years. Every 6 months has been a step forward and better than the previous six months. I'm currently in with PenFed and working with them on some refinances etc to get better rates on auto loans. Thanks for all the suggestions.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 31 of 35
ScorecardMAC

Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One QS1 MC - SL $350 (was an HSBC Card)

July 2014 - Auto CLI got $400 to $750 and PC Offer to QS1, paid off and began running about $500/wk through card, paying at least weekly to $0

July 2015 - Rqst CLI got $1500 to $2250 - started running $3K or so through card multiple payments 2-3 per month keeping as low UTIL % as I could

Dec 2015 - Rqst CLI got $5000 to $7250 - ran everything through it including some big items, always paying...slowed up in May after App Spree

July 2016 - Rqst CLI got $3000 to $10,250 - light usage on/off $1500 every other month or so and PIF before statement cuts (usually)

Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good data in the post above.

Definitely adds to the theory that greater spend + PIF increases the odds of favorable CLI results.

Message 34 of 35
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Well, I got my increase... only $2,000 CLI ;(

I think that my scores definitely do play a part despite putting through 48k in the last 6 months and PIF twice per month.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.