cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has the best Movie discount card ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who has the best Movie discount card ?

2011XTERROR wrote:

costco membership is like $55 i think.

Costco...

I am not a Costco member so I thought this was out of the question. But then I discovered you can sign up at costco.com for FREE.  And once signed up you can make your purchase You just get charged for a non-member fee of $1.75 per transaction instead of paying $16 for the AARP membership. However i had no clue AAA also have these discounted movie tickets. I am a AAA member and saw it on their website. 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty suresupermarkets have gift cards to regal cinemas and others, 6% if you're amex fortunate
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Pretty suresupermarkets have gift cards to regal cinemas and others, 6% if you're amex fortunate

honestly looking at the math... using Cash+ 5% purchasing fandango signature visa $100 giftcards for $80 = $25 cash back.

$25 divide by 5 movie tickets = $5 off per ticket.  Imax 3D movie ticket on fandango costs $21. So movie ticket ends up being $16.

23% cash back on movie tickets using CASH+ 5% movie catergory + Fandango Signature Visa.

Diiscounted movie tickets at an AARP ($8.00), COSTCO and AAA membership ($8.50) per ticket + $6 imax 3D surcharge = $14 - 14.50 per ticket.  

33% cash back using AARP, COSTCO or AAA memberships. 

not sure i got it right. bad with math.... Regal/AMC also charges location fees on theri epremier discounted tickets at some locations as well. 3D i think is $4 surcharge. 3D Imax $6. 

Message 13 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

honestly looking at the math... using Cash+ 5% purchasing fandango signature visa $100 giftcards for $80 = $25 cash back.

$25 divide by 5 movie tickets = $5 off per ticket.  Imax 3D movie ticket on fandango costs $21. So movie ticket ends up being $16.

23% cash back on movie tickets using CASH+ 5% movie catergory + Fandango Signature Visa.

Diiscounted movie tickets at an AARP ($8.00), COSTCO and AAA membership ($8.50) per ticket + $6 imax 3D surcharge = $14 - 14.50 per ticket.  

not sure i got it right. bad with math.... Regal/AMC also charges location fees on theri epremier discounted tickets at some locations as well. 3D i think is $4 surcharge. 3D Imax $6. 

Honestly, I'm starting to think you are just putting a tad bit too much thought into this and making it more confusing than it needs to be. For most people movie tickets are not such a regular expense that we need to worry too much about "maximizing rewards" on them (they're not groceries, gas, drugstores, etc that most of us spend on more frequently than a movie trip).

Signing up for a membership you don't otherwise need to get a discount on movie tickets may be counterproductive. You would save (much) more money to cut back on movie theater trips (an expensive habit), and switch to Netflix/Redbox/etc. I know your question is about rewards on movie tickets, but look at the bigger picture. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I'm starting to think you are just putting a tad bit too much thought into this and making it more confusing than it needs to be. For most people movie tickets are not such a regular expense that we need to worry too much about "maximizing rewards" on them (they're not groceries, gas, drugstores, etc that most of us spend on more frequently than a movie trip).

Signing up for a membership you don't otherwise need to get a discount on movie tickets may be counterproductive. You would save (much) more money to cut back on movie theater trips (an expensive habit), and switch to Netflix/Redbox/etc. I know your question is about rewards on movie tickets, but look at the bigger picture. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Well then in my case applying for the US Bank cash+ not worth a hard pull despite the $11 monthly maintenance fee they charging me for not having a US Bank credit card which prompts me closing it once i get ny $125 bonus for opening it unless they add 5% back on restaurants.... the 5% movies and 5% fastfood the only benefit i see having the card when you have 2% Citi, 3% gas Bank America and 6% grocercies Amex and Discover 5% and Chase 5% rotating catergories. 

Message 15 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

So, getting a Cash+ allows you to choose Movies, or Fast Food, or Department Stores (some on your BCP?) or Sporting Goods stores, and don't forget cell phones, because the cell phone category gets me 5% on both my cell bill and my landline bill.

And there's no AF, it sounds like it will save you $11 if you keep your US Bank checking open.

Whatever CL you start with, US Bank usually will do an auto CLI after they get to know you better.

Bottom line: Cash+ is worth the HP. It's even worth it if you have to go through the CashRewards for a while to get to Cash+.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not everyone can get a Visa Signature, even with 5k limits. I can get that Blue Cash in 5 months and counting, and no time windows needed. To effectively have a movie night still has to be semi spontaneous. Remember that better rewards split up everywhere means extra time to redeem them
Message 17 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not everyone can get a Visa Signature, even with 5k limits. I can get that Blue Cash in 5 months and counting, and no time windows needed. To effectively have a movie night still has to be semi spontaneous. Remember that better rewards split up everywhere means extra time to redeem them

Exactly...and we're talking about movie tickets. For most of us, not an everyday expense. So it wil take a very long time to rack up useable, redeemable rewards.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.