Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is First National Bank of Omaha?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who is First National Bank of Omaha?

I received an offer in the mail yesterday that is a little confusing to me.  It is First National Bank of Omaha but it is an American Express card?  The apr offer is 3.75%.  This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.

I am not familiar with this bank.  I have an amex card directly from amex but my rate is much higher.  Should I consider this offer or is it one of those that should be trashed permanently?  As far as the apr, does this verbiage mean that whatever the prime rate is, is the rate this card will carry?  If they are a worthy bank, what kind of limits are they known for - stingy, average, or generous?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is First National Bank of Omaha?

There's a TON of info on this bank on MyFico - of course, you'll have better luck finding it if you search "FNBO" - I haven't banked with them personally so I won't advise you, but yeah, TONS of posts

Message 2 of 18
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Personally,I Iike First National Bank of Omaha. However, that card probably isn't very good. Here is a link to a review of that card, from back when the prime rate was lower:  http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/consumer-watchdog/first-national-bank-omaha-prime-for-life/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 18
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

FNBO has been around for quite awhile and building up to the levels of the big 6 over the years.  They have some great products of their own and also have a private portfolio for some store brands as well.  The AMEX logo is just lilcensed from AMEX to put it on their card like some of the other co-brand cards on the market that aren't from Centurion Bank.  FNBO is pretty conservative in comparison to lower tier 3rd parties like Synch / Comenity that explicitly do 3rd party finance management.  

Double check your CBDB pulls to see where your scores and which CR they pull and you should be good to go!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Personally,I Iike First National Bank of Omaha. However, that card probably isn't very good. Here is a link to a review of that card, from back when the prime rate was lower:  http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/consumer-watchdog/first-national-bank-omaha-prime-for-life/

Thank you!! This is the type of info I was looking for.

I appreciate the responses letting me know the acronym FNBO is what I need to search.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have some great product.  I'd KILL to get a prequal from FNBO Smiley Wink Mainly because theyre about the only bank I haven't been able to get in with.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an offer in the mail yesterday that is a little confusing to me.  It is First National Bank of Omaha but it is an American Express card?  The apr offer is 3.75%.  This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.

I am not familiar with this bank.  I have an amex card directly from amex but my rate is much higher.  Should I consider this offer or is it one of those that should be trashed permanently?  As far as the apr, does this verbiage mean that whatever the prime rate is, is the rate this card will carry?  If they are a worthy bank, what kind of limits are they known for - stingy, average, or generous?

Thanks!

First National Bank of Omaha is the largest privately held bank in the United States. They have top ratings from the FDIC and they keep a low profile by running a very lean operation. Their customer service is located in Yankton SD or Omaha NE and all are US bound. They have a 45 story tall building in Omaha NE and give greatly to the community. All of that said, they stick tightly to their policies and their banking market area with the exception where they stray outside their area for targeted credit card offers. Generally, (note I said generally) they do not accept business that is not invited in. Their being conservative has kept them off the list of troubled financial institutions. As to their cards (had some many years ago and of late) are generally pretty unexciting with terms and conditions that most other issuers easily beat. Hope that helps!

Message 7 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I like my First National Bank - 2% Cashback Visa

I have only had it 4 months but have had no issues.

For the last couple of years, from about October thru December they have offered a CC

with Good Rewards, or low APY or "both", with a limited time to apply for the card.

In 2016 it was the CashBack Visa, and 2015 was the BucksBack 2% Visa.

I might wait and check the FNBO website this year in Oct (??)

The Good:

2% cash-back, no caps or categories.

Rewards post when spend does. (Citi-DC does not)

Talk to person that speaks English, in the US. (Most don't)

"Visa" /  (Can get 2% at Costco and others that don't take Amex , Master Card, or Discover)

25$ for redemption (Fidelity 2% Visa is 50$)

Clear your payment next day (24-hrs), Faster than most not as fast as Citi-DC

Post Statement Credit next day (24-Hrs), Better than average for my accounts

Easy to Pull payment from FNBO web page or Push money from your BIll-Pay

Better than average credit line for me.

Give Fico-8-Bankcard credit score from Experian

The Bad:

The web based account summary does not show "pending transactions". You have to wait 3-4 days for them to post. (This does bother me a little)

Statement credit is in 25$ increments, so you leave change on the table for the next  redemption period (I don't mind this, but it bothers some)

Depends on point of view:

Pulled Experian.

They have security questions that they ask every log-in.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had never heard of them myself until 2015, and boy did I find out about them. I had a prequal offer for a "FNBO Sheetz" card, which is a gas station chain here on the east coast. Even with about 800 credit score, they turned me down because of too many INQs. I waited until last week with only 1 inq in the past year and they instantly approved me for the card with $6k SL. I'm actually glad to finally be in with them as I've heard and read nothing but good things about them. 

Message 9 of 18
resilient
Established Contributor

I've had a Chrysler MasterCard since May 2012, when I started rebuilding, with a SL of $4,200. It has grown, SP CLI to $30,000. They send out 1.99% and 5.99% balance transfer offers frequently. They're a pleasure to deal with, in my opinion.

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.