Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is Pickier, Amex or Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is Pickier, Amex or Discover?

Why did you leave it blank? Don't you know you'll confuse noobs by doing that? Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 20
Achase
Regular Contributor

lmfao...id say amex has stricter rules and they do no not budge

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I highly doubt AMEX criterias for all of its charge cards are the same. I've heard of people not being approved for Gold but approved for Zync. Zync is marketed with lower criterias.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

the green is very easy to get these days

Message 14 of 20
Achase
Regular Contributor

its not a matter of opinion.....amex's criteria for their charge cards is the same across the board 

its whether u wanna pay 25 for zync or 450 for platinum

Message 15 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, OK, I'll try again, as this seems to have gotten lost. Anyway, FWIW:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

...OP, if that's all you're asking, I think your question is awfully broad. For instance, an AmEx Green is relatively easy to get, compared to an AmEx Costco or Clear.

So I would say that for some cards, Discover is pickier, and for others, AmEx is pickier. Smiley Happy

Just IMO.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 20
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Achase wrote:

its not a matter of opinion.....amex's criteria for their charge cards is the same across the board 

its whether u wanna pay 25 for zync or 450 for platinum

Do you have evidence to corroborate this? Did a phone representative of Amex tell you this? If so, there have been many stories on the forum of CSR of various companies giving conflicting answers about the very same question. I wouldn't take much stock in an oral response.

Do you have a written piece of evidence by Amex, online or offline, that confirms this?

If not, then only Amex knows. I am sure they won't tell us.

Message 17 of 20
Achase
Regular Contributor

before i decided to take back over my credit i was constantly denied for an amex card whether it was green gold or platinum and the decline reasons were basically always the same. once i cleaned my credit i applied for a gold and instant denied because i still had a late showing that was less than 24 months old.. once that late hit 25 months old i apllied and istant approval on the green, same day i applied for the gold pr and istant approval then the next day i applied for the platinum which is the card i really wanted in the first place and what do you know instant approval again. i closed the green and gold card once i received the platinum. and i come to conclude that their approval criteria is the same across the board for their charge accounts. if your approved for one your approved for all it just depends how much your willing to pay in annual fees.

just beacuse i have a platinum and john doe has a zync card whos to say i can charge more than he can?

amex doesnt approve charges based on card color its on your personal finaces and credit profile. 

Message 18 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

While I lean toward agreeing with you that the approval criteria for charge cards is pretty much the same, we can't apply your experience to everyone's.

So in your case, you were not going to get applied for anything until your late went over two years. Once it did, the rest of your credit profile was enough to qualify for any of the charge cards.

But that doesn't mean that someone else with a different credit profile would have the identical experience.

Once again, I tend to think that you're right, but reasoning from personal experience to come up with universal truths has tripped up a lot of members here, including me. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 20
Achase
Regular Contributor

ok i respect that...you make alot of sense there

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.