cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is US Bank, and why do they think that I have excellent credit?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Who is US Bank, and why do they think that I have excellent credit?

Got a "pre-qualified" letter from US Bank today, dangling their Visa Platinum Card. It looks very attractive: 0% APR on initial purchases for 12 months, afterwards prime plus 5.99% (which is pretty lame); 0% APR for BT's for 12 months with NO balance transfer fee if you BT on application, otherwise, there's a fee; no annual fee with at least one purchase per year, otherwise a $40 fee. They do retain the option to practice universal default. Hmmmm.

According to WhoGaveMeCredit, US Bank is one of the toughie cards. There aren't that many entries for it, and quite a few no's. But then, there are some pretty messy histories there. Financeglobe.com wasn't particularly helpful, either.

I wouldn't mind having a 0% initial purchase APR on a Visa. DD#2 seems to be headed to Ireland this summer, and she only has a MasterCard. I'm looking around for a Visa that I can AU her on. (Lots of feedback on another thread to forget AmEx and Discover.)

But so far, I don't see anything incredibly wonderful about either the bank or the card. I think ByrdMan worked there back in the day, but not on the CC side. It's HQ'd in Minneapolis, and they do have the Northwest Airlines WorldPerks card.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is US Bank, and why do they think that I have excellent credit?

i don't have a cc, but do deal w/them. not overly impressed w/them. a thread over at cb says they will cli something on the order of every 6 months hard free by calling the automated line. from that thread, known to start conservative and willing to grow.
Message 2 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I had them back in the day as a secured card. The customer service seemed great and had no issues. Wish I treated it well.
Message 3 of 30
fused
Moderator Emeritus

They use to be known as a CCC that would only issue to the uber-prime, much like AmEx and Discover use to be. It's my understanding they now offer a full gamut of cards from super-prime to sub-prime. Oh BTW, why isn't this thread in the CC forum? lol Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:
They used to be known as a CCC that would only issue to the uber-prime, much like AmEx and Discover use to be. It's my understanding they now offer a full gamut of cards from super-prime to sub-prime. Oh BTW, why isn't this thread in the CC forum? lol Smiley Very Happy

Because IRA idiot!

Thanks for the info, and moving the ding-dang thread. No wonder I didn't get many hits... Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 30
bradfordhog
Established Member

Haven't had a CC with them, but have had 2 car loans.  Service was excellent.  Would finance with them again.
Message 6 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ilecs and bradfordhog, I realize that your accounts are pretty old, but do you know who they pulled? I wouldn't mind having a TU pull...

And thanks, everyone, for all the other info. I'm very much on the fence about this one. And I still don't get WGMC's saying that this is a tough bank to get in with. Don't see that so far.
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a business visa and a personal LOC with them. Up until recently, I noticed that my payments, when sent by check, would take over a week to post after mailing it. Since switching to bank pay, I don't see that any more. In general, I've been pretty happy with them and no problems redeeming for rewards.

Don't know who they pulled though, the LOC is over 10 years old and the biz card is probably 8-9 years old.
Message 8 of 30
MsKmm00
Regular Contributor

My mortgage and bank account are with USbank. When I applied for a HELOC they pulled EQ. They also pulled EQ when I opened my checking account.
Message 9 of 30
bradfordhog
Established Member

I'm in Arkansas, and they pulled Transunion for me last July.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.