cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is/are your favorite cc issuer(s) or lender(s)?

tag
alkaline
Regular Contributor

Re: Who is/are your favorite cc issuer(s) or lender(s)?

AMEX for me too. They've never turned down any of my CLI requests and my BCE has the lowest APR out of all of my cards! They fill me with joy Heart

Message 31 of 50
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Prefer Amex, Chase Discover. Barclays offers lots of specials. Cap one is not closed yet, but I do not feel the affinity others do. Apparently, I now get better reps with my Chase cards? Cap one would not approve me for another card, nor lower the interest rate (lose, lose scenario). I got two other cards the same day with same income reported. I see the future of cap one tightening up.
Signature needs updating
Message 32 of 50
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Chase is, without a doubt, my favorite card issuer. I really like their product offering and I tend to get anything that I want from them. There aren't very many Chase cards left that I haven't had at some point in recent years. Also, the customer service is always great; and that tends to be rare from large companies. AmEx and Citi aren't far behind Chase in terms of favorability and also offer impressive products. 

Barclays is definitely my least favorite lender and I almost wish I didn't have to deal with them at all. Unfortunately, the two cards I have with them are arguably the best products they've ever offered and are quite valuable to me.

Capital One... still leaves a lot to be desired in my experience, but much more likeable than Barclays. 

Message 33 of 50
UncleB
Credit Mentor

So far I'm quite pleased with all the lenders in my signature, and perhaps strangely (?) for various reasons.

For me, Capital One has been my 'rock'... it's the card I know will always 'just work', no drama, no questions asked, and with 1.5% general spend I feel it's an excellent card to use when no other card offers more rewards.  If they would kill the AF on my soon-to-be nine year old QS1 they would be 'gold' in my book, but I can overlook this 'fly in the ointment' now that combining accounts is an option.

I'm thankful to USAA for giving me my first 'big boy' credit card, and (IMO) opening the door to my other cards.  When I got my USAA card, I still had several 'baddies' reporting, but they took me anyway, and the terms aren't bad (considering my reports at the time).  I'm fairly new to NFCU, but they knocked my shorts off with the lowest APR of all my accounts, and also the highest credit line.

I'm pleased with Discover for the great balance transfer offer (which I'm taking advantage of) and so far that doesn't seem to 'bother' them (no signs of AA for carrying a high balance).  Of course there are the 5% categories as well, which is adding up nicely.

I'm using my Sam's Club MasterCard quite often, and Synchrony has returned the favor by giving me a significant auto-CLI.  I'm earning around $30 each month just for using it, so the membership dues are more than covered even if I never shop in a Sam's Club (which I do).

Of course, there's Amex... I don't have any 'problems' with them, and actually I'm thankful they gave me another chance after I included one of their cards in a BK7 back in 2000.  My only issue is that they still hold that against me, i.e. they have continuously used that as the reason for denying a CLI.  I've finally decided to just not worry about that account growing, and just 'milk' it for the rewards.  I consider it their loss, since with a $1k CL I'll never come close to paying a penny of interest (yes, I know they still make money off me... I just feel better thinking of it that way... haha).

In my own experience (through the ups and downs) I can say that most lenders will generally treat you pretty well as long as you pay your bill.  There are the outliers that are known for AA if you carry a significant balance, etc. but fortunately I don't seem to have any of those in my wallet. <fingers crossed!>  Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just wish more people were aware that capital one does triple inquiries

What makes you think people aren't aware of this?  Besides, not everyone has several inquiries on every report; plus there are several data points that you can freeze one bureau and still get approved, which would put them at 2 inquiries (comparable to Chase and/or Citi depending on your location).

@Anonymous wrote:

They encourage bad behavior more than other banks, allowing a person to carry 4 capital one cards, half with annual fees, lord knows what APR, etc.

What kind of bad behavior is this promoting?  Having many cards?  Amex is the only other lender that caps your total number of credit cards with them; why not complain about all the other lenders?  If they're the same card, what's the big deal?  Most of the time you can combine them online if it really bothers you that much.  If you're worried about getting confused as to which card is which, take one look online, figure it out, and SD the rest.  If you PIF (which you generally should if you have rewards cards in the first place), APR doesn't matter except for emergencies (why not go for a CU card with lower APR) or pride (get over it).

@Anonymous wrote:

They always say yes because they kick you while you are down and it gets to the point where no other bank will take you.

How are they kicking you when you're down?  If anything by extending you credit when no one else will they're the only ones not kicking you.  Will some people abuse this?  Sure, but there will always be some people who abuse something.  And that last part...do you have any proof that having Capital One on your credit report negatively impacts other banks' view of your profile?

@Anonymous wrote:

No offense to you folks that do it....but I just don't get why they would approve folks for a 20k venture AND a 10k qs then a few months later repeat, and repeat.  Give the person a real limit, axe the 6 month cli clock, be more willing to remove AF's and lower APR's, and come out with some better rewards cards.  Then we will talk.

Citi has a 6 month CLI clock; so does Amex.  People have had success through EO removing AF.  20k and 10k aren't real limits?  Venture is still one of the highest general spend earn rate cards out there, and QS isn't extremely popular on these forums because it's a sucky rewards card.

Please, if you're going to bash Capital One you'll need to come up with some better arguments.  Don't mislead everyone else; I'm not saying they're the best bank or that they have the best card offerings in the world but they're not nearly the dump you seem to be under the impression they are.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I love Capital One.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 35 of 50
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

My favourite issuer is by far Amex, got a european airline ticket with my sign up bonus points for only $100 in taxes and fees out of pocket. As well i have utilised my Plat airline credits to get cheap tickets and also used the centurion lounge in Vegas. Also I have my highest CC limit with them at $8700, plus I like having the NPSL. Im going to start saving money and at the end of lease Im thinking im just going to make one huge payment on the rest owed to own it.

Im upset with USAA for switching from mastercard to visa, I will no longer have a mastercard come january and this is problem matic as this was my only card that would do a pin code if needed(Amex was automatically declined in Belgium train ticket machine while this asked for the pin). So im on edge to see if they are going to make this card useless or if it will still retain some of the "chip and pin" ability.

Im realising that I should have got a Discover card over my freedom as United has left me with a sour taste in my mouth(so no reward tickets on them), and also getting two bureaus pulled and this 4th quarter had lackluster categories.

Most iritated with US bank, only has a $2100 limit. Wouldnt care much about the limit if the card yeilded more than 1% cash back or had bonus categories. I tried applying for the cash+ but was offered this instead.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 36 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays UncleB! 

Message 37 of 50
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Chase and Barclay have been the best to me so far in terms of limits, with Amex not far behind.

Citi and US Bank hate me for whatever reason.

I hate Wells Fargo.
Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 38 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Heart

Capital One for giving a 500 Club Member a chance.

Heart

Navy Fed for giving a fee free checking/savings, pant wetting credit limit increases and the lowest APR card in my stable.

Heart

USAA for the fastest, simplest bill pay out of all lenders I've ever had and currently have.

Heart

Chase for making reward bonuses so simple to accrue.

Honorable mentions to the store cards, Synch and Comenity who haven't shut me out yet. Smiley LOL

Merry Chrismahanakwanzikah

Score improvements impressive Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 50
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays UncleB! 

Thanks so much!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and everyone as well!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.