Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is inquiry sensitive?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Who is inquiry sensitive?

I've read that some credit card companies are more inquiry sensitive than others. Which are notably sensitive and which don't seem to factor inquiries heavily in the approval process?

Perhaps this information would be useful for an app spree. Knowing an order to app may increase chances of success.
AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who is inquiry sensitive?

Barclays, Comenity Bank and American Express have all declined me in the past for too many inquiries.  And I usually apply for new credit ever 6 - 12 months so I would say they have been the most sensitive. 

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 2 of 39
baller4life
Super Contributor

Great thread!! I would like this info as well. I know Barclay and Penfed certainly are inquiry sensitive
Message 3 of 39
bribro
Valued Contributor

Nordstrom. They are the only issuer that attempted to decline me, and it was because of just 3 recent inquiries.
TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

When you say inq sensitive, how many inqs are we talking about? Would decling you due to <5 or <10 make a company inq sensitive or maybe even <3? I'm just curious because I'm hoping to app for barclays next month and I have 8 inqs on my CR, but only 4 in the past year.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 39
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclays declined me last week for too many recent inquiries. I had 5 on Transunion
Message 6 of 39
elvigy
Contributor

Chase declined me for too many inqs. They changed their mind on recon since all the inqs were car loan related but it took some running around to get them to revert that decision. This was for 7 inquiries in a 2 week period but again, all car related.

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 7 of 39
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Did not get declined but Chase gave me a horrible APR 22,99% on my Freedom for too many inq and Discover gave me a low limit and  even now 1 year later does not allow CLI due to too many new accounts. On the other hand Barclays approved me with a nice limit and Amex even granted 3 x CLI ......and I got both Discover and Amex at the same time. So I think it is YMMV thing....

Message 8 of 39
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

I got denied by Best Buy - Citi for too many INQ's, about 7.  That was the only reason given and I was not provided with a credit score which I found odd.

A week later I was approved by Chase for an account with a credit line of $12K

Message 9 of 39
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

PNC, Chase, Discover and AMEX. 

PNC is the most conservative of the 4 I listed and the funny thing is I Only have the card for OD protection to my Virtual Wallet accounts, don't use the card for any other reason ... While they give decent CL's with Approval....They hate recent INQs, >20% UTL, and more than 1 new TL at time of app'ing. I had to Recon and let me tell you it was a brutal finger pointing session which has made me hate Recon'ing to a extent, but I got the approval. I now have to really want the card to go through the "Finger Pointing" some Reps will put you through., .  I think PNC strictness has to do with them not being a big CC player, and almost not one at all prior to the Nat City takeover. 

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.