Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who knows about Amex Blue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows about Amex Blue?

Wanting to get into the Amex fam soon, and wondering which card would be easiest to get?  I want BCE, but was looking on Amex's site and saw the Amex Blue? Straight 1X MR points on every purchase.  Is this like a lower tier card for them? Lower requirements to get?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Who knows about Amex Blue?

From what I heard they were transitioning Amex Blue users to the Everyday card for some existing users, so it is surprising it's still available.   It always was a bit of a meh card, and now with the Everyday, it is pointless.    It earns MRE (which cannot be transferred to partners) at a flat 1MRE per $, whereas the Everyday earns real MRs, including bonus categories and at a min of 1.2MR per $ if you swipe 20 times a month.

Is it easier to get?   Maybe (although I wouldn't think so), but despite the belief of "getting in with [issuer X]" there is very little point in applying for a card you don't want, when  you can either apply for the card you do want, or, if there are score issues, waiting for a bit.  (With backdating, it might have made sense with Amex, but those days are gone).

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

mRe: Who knows about Amex Blue?

ED is definitely an improvement over Blue. A charge card or Delta Gold might be easier to get, though.

That said, if you want cash back, then you might really want to avoid MRs and Delta miles.

I'd wait, improve your credit, and then go for the card you really want.

Message 3 of 5
Kiki901
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wanting to get into the Amex fam soon, and wondering which card would be easiest to get?  I want BCE, but was looking on Amex's site and saw the Amex Blue? Straight 1X MR points on every purchase.  Is this like a lower tier card for them? Lower requirements to get?

Thanks!

I was approved for the AMEX ED with an Exp FICO of 632. In my experience, they won't approve you if you have any charged off CCs on your CR. I had 2 charged out FP cards and applied and was declined. They fell off a month later, I applied again and was instantly approved.

Message 4 of 5
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Pretty solid advice has already been given but I would emphasize the applying for the card you want point. Never apply for Amex cards based on their perceived looser standards for approval.

Everyone is different, while some with a 650 may be approved someone with a 670 may be declined. Apply for what you want and if declined work on it. Don't get stuck with a card you may not find useful with an AF on top of it.

The other thing to consider is Amex's borderline approvals. People get approved with low scores but also get stuck with low SL's that are stubborn to grow because Amex is looking for you to prove your worthiness. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.