Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's paid a surcharge?

tag
printosaur
New Contributor

Who's paid a surcharge?

Who has been dinged for paying with credit card?

Or noticed a surcharge and avoided it?

CreditCards.com is doing research on surcharges, because there seems to be confusion out there about the rules.

To tell your story (Mod Cut-direct contact info not allowed) there is a confidential form  at this link: http://goo.gl/forms/hXmotrREmB

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who's paid a surcharge?

I responded to the survey, but I was curious if you are using the merchant info to contact the merchant.  In my case, the merchant did not seem to be aware of the disclosure rules and was very apologetic (and remedied the problem going forward), so I would rather not reopen old wounds for them.

Message 2 of 7
printosaur
New Contributor

OK we'll leave the company out of it and just use the data about the amount of the surcharge. Thank you for responding.

Message 3 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@printosaur wrote:

Who has been dinged for paying with credit card?

Or noticed a surcharge and avoided it?

CreditCards.com is doing research on surcharges, because there seems to be confusion out there about the rules.

To tell your story there is a confidential form  at this link: http://goo.gl/forms/hXmotrREmB

A local donut shop I go to charges .50 per transaction for using a credit card. Since all the payment brands started allowing merchants to apply these surcharges, they've been popping up at smaller merchants who don't process enough volume to negotiate swipe fees. 

Message 4 of 7
printosaur
New Contributor

Thank you for replying.

Would you consider filling in the brief form? We are hearing that smaller stores are surcharging and want to collect data by state, amount, etc. The confidential form is at this link: http://goo.gl/forms/IzNdVNxWWH

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay a fee (or forego a cash discount) only if the rewards I'm earning are higher than the fee.

Examples:

Commonwealth Edison (my local electric company) charges a flat $2.50 fee.  I'm earning effectively 3% on my Discover it Miles card, so as long as my bill is at least $83.34, I'm better off paying with the Discover card.

My municipal water utility accepts payment through a state-sponsored payment system that charges a 2.5% fee, minimum $1.00.  They also accept Discover, so provided my bill exceeds $33.33, I'll pay with Discover card.

My property taxes (~$8,000) can be paid with credit card with 2.125% fee.  3%>2.125%.

Finally, a local pet food store offers a 2% discount for paying with cash.  At 3% cashback, I'm 1% ahead by paying with credit card.

Chris.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh good ole comed. yes at least their fee is flat.

And i intend on making it a ritual to churn 1 bonus a year on property taxes lol.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.