cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who was the worst credit card to deal with in a BK or just a Charge off.

tag
Smug
Established Contributor

Who was the worst credit card to deal with in a BK or just a Charge off.

I have been reding som horror stories on the web about NFCU and what they do to collect,I am wondering about other people experiences ?
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Who was the worst credit card to deal with in a BK or just a Charge off.

@Smug wrote:
I have been reding som horror stories on the web about NFCU and what they do to collect,I am wondering about other people experiences ?

Not sure it will really answer but I say the biggest thing about collection calls or trying to make payments or to settle is to stick to what is important... If you are not trying to bring an account current that is open and make reduced interest plans or what not Why you went late, How much money you make, etc. are all things that JUST DONT MATTER... The account is "gone" so to speak now... they are either going to work with you to settle it for full or less, or they are going to walk away from it, maybe they already have walked away from it, and now you are dealing with a collection agency that has bought it... the only thing you all need to talk about is what you are willing to do now and what they are willing to do.

It's a fine line between being short and sweet and short and nasty, and that works for both sides of the call.... I HIGHLY suggest that you keep personal out of it, you don't let them ask the questions unless they relate to fixing what you are calling about.

The more "stuff" you talk about the more away from the actual you are.

Also the more away from the actual you are the more they are sometimes able to get more shady

I know when trying to settle with Santander I had a rep that would not send me letter of settlement or letter of debt until i agreed that I was paying it and gave her my checking info.  she actually ended up hanging up on my saying I was "Refusing"  (She was not being legal)

I called instantly back and in seconds was emailed or faxed I forget the info I requested, and I was able to then instantly setlle and pay the account in full for the settlement.... I understand these collections agents sometimes deal with nasty, what ever type people and they get hard and what not, but I swear they tend to be their weirst enemy when it comes to collecting.

Best example is late payments or fees.  Some agents you say you are calling and you want to bring it current but you wanted to see about some of the fees... If you have never been late before and you have been charged lets say 2 $35 fees and the payment due is lets say $200 for easy numbers... I'm going to say I can bring it current with the full $200 today if you can credit back the $70.  some will say let me look and yes, some will say I can do 1, or some (i think are stupid when they do) but some will say NO! they can't or something.  Well I am here to tell you that is 99% FALSE!

This is wear staying in control of the conversation comes into play.  You can make a couple attempts on paying and having fees taken off but if you have someone that is getting nasty about you were the one that is late and it's not deserved, then we don't need to stay on the phone. I'm not questioning rather I'm late, or even if they fees are justified, im simply trying to get back on track now and part of that is I want the bank to see the big picture that I am getting back on track and they need to help!

if not, I hang up.

someone else will see the value in waiving $70 to get a $10k account current again!

some of this I guess is personal opinion but in the end depends on what you are trying to pay, fix, or run from as to what might be exceptable of the bank and or you... that  close to question!!? haha

Message 2 of 3
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: Who was the worst credit card to deal with in a BK or just a Charge off.

I was wondering as my son just went thru one last year
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.