Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who will give me a chance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who will give me a chance?

I really need a company out there that will give me a chance for credit.

I have done a wonderful job repairing and re-establishing my credit, but no credit or store card company will give me a line of credit and it's really starting to upset me. I checked my credit reports today and my TU score was at 673, a huge jump from the 550s I was in.

I am 26 and within the last 6-7 years I have just made bad, immature decisions and they are still hanging over my head. Past due accounts, collection accounts, etc. I even let someone get a cell phone under my name that they let got and I didn't know until it was too late. I have gotten a couple to come off my report and ALL have been very well taken care of, but since they happened, they hurt me.

I have 2 cars paid off perfectly, one current perfectly paid car loan, a perfect mortgage payment history, 2 or 3 perfectly paid personal loans, one of those being from my bank, and a current one open that is perfect. My debt to income ratio is perfectly okay as well. I have a CapOne credit card that I was able to get about 6-8 months ago that has always been on time and since I am an authorized user on my dad's credit card, that shows another AWESOME positive on my credit report.

All that and STILL can't get anyone to give me a chance. I call for recons, so they look at all the good I have done which is more accurately me, but nope.

Please help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who will give me a chance?

How many recent applications have you made for credit cards? 

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 2 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried some store accounts?  GEMB is decent, and they'll give you like a wal mart store card, or amazon.com store card...   thats the route I would go right  now

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 10
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Try Capital One? They get alot of crap on the message boards but they are a very forgiving lender who can at least help you get started. I'd recommend getting the Capital One Newcomers card. It's unsecured, has no annual fee, and gives cash back rewards. Don't expect a high credit limit, but it will get you started.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Have you tried a secured card?  Have you tried any credit unions? 

If you have a Cap One unsecured card, you may just need to give it a little more time and then app around the 1 year anniversary of that card.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried a Barclay's card via Apple in October and did a Discovery More card today (because there was a lot of luck with it on WGMC), that's the last ones I have tried.

Message 6 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have done a wonderful job repairing and re-establishing my credit, but no credit or store card company will give me a line of credit and it's really starting to upset me. I checked my credit reports today and my TU score was at 673, a huge jump from the 550s I was in.

I am 26 and within the last 6-7 years I have just made bad, immature decisions and they are still hanging over my head. Past due accounts, collection accounts, etc. I even let someone get a cell phone under my name that they let got and I didn't know until it was too late. I have gotten a couple to come off my report and ALL have been very well taken care of, but since they happened, they hurt me.

I have 2 cars paid off perfectly, one current perfectly paid car loan, a perfect mortgage payment history, 2 or 3 perfectly paid personal loans, one of those being from my bank, and a current one open that is perfect. My debt to income ratio is perfectly okay as well. I have a CapOne credit card that I was able to get about 6-8 months ago that has always been on time and since I am an authorized user on my dad's credit card, that shows another AWESOME positive on my credit report.

All that and STILL can't get anyone to give me a chance. I call for recons, so they look at all the good I have done which is more accurately me, but nope.

Please help!

It sounds like you have some positive history, but also still some negative history remaining as well. I can't quite tell for sure from your post, but that's what it sounds like. If you have negative items on your CR, you should try to get them off -- legitimately. If you have not paid something, you can PFD (pay for delete). If you have paid, then you can GW -- where you write a goodwill letter to the company explaining why you hadn't paid and asking them to remove.

It is the baddies on your CR that is preventing you from getting credit. It is really tough to get new credit when you have negatives on your CR. I would continue keeping all of you clean accounts current. And focus on getting off the baddies. Sometimes GW letters take a while and multiple tries. If you do a search here under "gw" or "goodwill," you should be able to find some info to help you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please help!

It sounds like you have some positive history, but also still some negative history remaining as well. I can't quite tell for sure from your post, but that's what it sounds like. If you have negative items on your CR, you should try to get them off -- legitimately. If you have not paid something, you can PFD (pay for delete). If you have paid, then you can GW -- where you write a goodwill letter to the company explaining why you hadn't paid and asking them to remove.

It is the baddies on your CR that is preventing you from getting credit. It is really tough to get new credit when you have negatives on your CR. I would continue keeping all of you clean accounts current. And focus on getting off the baddies. Sometimes GW letters take a while and multiple tries. If you do a search here under "gw" or "goodwill," you should be able to find some info to help you.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try US Bank they have wonderful CS just as good or better than Discover.

http://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/compare.html?filter3=Cards+to+build+or+re-establish+credit

TBC

Message 9 of 10
kball64
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried HSBC?  When I was rebuilding, they gave me a card with a $1500 limit back in 2008.  I think my FICO at the time was around 580.  The card I got has 2% cashback rewards and has turned out to be the best card ever.  My credit limit has grown to $4100 and it's pretty much the only card I use even though I have NFCU cards with $10K limits.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.