cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoa, applied for an Amex and didn't get an instant decline.

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Whoa, applied for an Amex and didn't get an instant decline.

I decided to pull my EX score since it has been a year since my last late payment and saw that my score jumped from 623 to 657. 34 points for aging a year. Not bad eh?

So, since I am ignorant and have been trying to get an American Express card for a while I make the decision to apply. I applied for the Gold Delta Skymiles card, and much to my suprise, I got a check back in 24 hour message. I always, always get instant declines from Amex. Now I keep frantically checking the status every 5 minutes hoping that they update.

Anyone have any luck with Amex and the 24 hour message?
Here we go again...
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whoa, applied for an Amex and didn't get an instant decline.

did you try calling? sounds encouraging, good luck. keep us posted.
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingers crossed for you!
Message 3 of 28
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Would the people on the phone know before they would update online?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe if it's a network problem. maybe they could even tell you if it's an info thing, i doubt anyone from new accounts is in on the weekends (ordnarily they would be able to transfer you there).
Message 5 of 28
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is common with Amex getting the 24 hour check back message. I got the same message when I applied for the card and I got the 24 hour message. I checked back next day and said it is approve. Most likely you are getting the card. Wait a day and check back and you'll see the status.
Message 6 of 28
kclb
Regular Contributor

Hm. How's the response time for Charge cards? faster? higher criteria? ahhhh. Smiley Wink

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 7 of 28
girlie
Regular Contributor

i just applied for One from American Express today and got instant approval.  They say you should have a fico score of 691 to make sure you get approved.  my scores are tu 680, eq 695, ex 691.  i was too scared to apply for the BLUE card for fear of a decline....they want a fico of 713 and i am nowhere near that.  two friggin years of hard work and i haven't even hit the 700 club...what a long journey.

good luck...fingers crossed.
Message 8 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, girlie, congrats on the One! Where did you get such specific score listings? I've never seen any that precise, for individual cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 28
kclb
Regular Contributor

@girlie wrote:
i just applied for One from American Express today and got instant approval. They say you should have a fico score of 691 to make sure you get approved. my scores are tu 680, eq 695, ex 691. i was too scared to apply for the BLUE card for fear of a decline....they want a fico of 713 and i am nowhere near that. two friggin years of hard work and i haven't even hit the 700 club...what a long journey.
good luck...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will wait for a bit before I jump the gun. haha. I'm in love with AMEX so I want one credit card and one charge card. hah. I will swipe more of my Delta Gold and wait.....

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.