cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoo Hoo! Just preapproved for a card by a bank that no longer exists!

tag
JayBeast
New Contributor

Whoo Hoo! Just preapproved for a card by a bank that no longer exists!

I just got my upteenth preapproval from WaMu in the mail today.  Normally these go right to the shredder as I'm rebuilding and holding out on new cards for a prime lender.  However, it kind of surprised me being that WaMu is eventually becoming a part of Chase.  I opened the letter and it was the usual pre-Chase preapproval stuff.

Shouldn't there be a clause in there along the likes of "Transfer your balances now and receive 0% APR until January 2010, but we may close your account before then!"  Just a thought Smiley Happy

Has anyone else received a WaMu preapproval recently?

Message Edited by JayBeast on 10-09-2008 03:57 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Whoo Hoo! Just preapproved for a card by a bank that no longer exists!

yes, i got one monday or tuesday.  decided to apply & got denied.  Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a preapproval the day before Chase bought WaMu.  I received one the week after that, and then received 2, one on Monday and on Tuesday of this week. 

I had so hoped with the purchase of WaMu that I would stop getting these darn preapprovals from WaMu.  One would think after the first 100, they would realize I don't want their darn cards. 

However, Chase has said, on both theirs and WaMu's website that they will continue to operate separate from each other for a while, and it looks like it's "business as usual."

Uggh!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayBeast wrote:

I just got my upteenth preapproval from WaMu in the mail today.  Normally these go right to the shredder as I'm rebuilding and holding out on new cards for a prime lender.  However, it kind of surprised me being that WaMu is eventually becoming a part of Chase.  I opened the letter and it was the usual pre-Chase preapproval stuff.

Shouldn't there be a clause in there along the likes of "Transfer your balances now and receive 0% APR until January 2010, but we may close your account before then!"  Just a thought Smiley Happy

Why would they close your account?  I don't understand.
Message 4 of 9
JayBeast
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is speculation elsewhere on the boards that Chase might close a WaMu account if the profile of account isn't up to their standards.  Of course, they could easily sell it to another bank too.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayBeast wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is speculation elsewhere on the boards that Chase might close a WaMu account if the profile of account isn't up to their standards.  Of course, they could easily sell it to another bank too.

That's true, there's no way to know for sure what Chase will or won't do.  However, I know that in the past I've had cards that were sold and my terms were never changed nor did my accounts close.  Nothing sold to Chase.  And there's nothing on the Chase/WaMu websites that state they will be closing accounts in good standing.  Although I wouldn't expect them to say that, either.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Why would any business entity work its salt close an account in good standing? Those accounts are worth money if they don't want them. The accounts they are not interested in will be bundled and sold, probably along with the CC operation that WaMu bought from Providian. Chase already has both the Chemical Bank and Chase operations (both of which were huge). They surely do not need another! Think HSBC might be interested in domesticating their CC operation? This would be an ideal opportunity...

Message 7 of 9
JayBeast
New Contributor

@jmbfl wrote:

Think HSBC might be interested in domesticating their CC operation? This would be an ideal opportunity...

*cringes in horror*  Smiley Surprised

Good thing I didn't apply, I could have had ANOTHER card managed by HSBC!

Message 8 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

@JayBeast wrote:

DH got one this week, which makes about 6 in the past month!

I was wondering about this myself, but just figured maybe they already had these preapps queued so they were sent even if they werent really going to issue any cards!

The offer's not so bad....9.9% I think for up to $7500.....but I havent read the most glowing things about Wamu on this forum so we just shredded them anyway.

Now I'm wondering if he should consider it.....especially if it'll eventually combine with Chase.  And more especially since we're Amex card holders and no telling when we'll be the lucky receipient of their CLDs!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.