cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoops! Does Amex match sign up bonuses?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops! Does Amex match sign up bonuses?

So last month I was approved for an Amex EveryDay through a prequal with a 15K MR sign up bonus.

Today I received a letter from Amex offering me -- you guessed it -- the Amex EveryDay. Notably, my sign up bonus on the offer letter is for 25K MRs (after $2000 in spending), which is really quite a terrific offer for a no annual fee card. 

I called the number on the back of my card to see if Amex will match the offer on my letter since I was only approved a month ago, and the representative took down my RSVP code and submitted a case on my behalf. The CSR told me that my case should be resolved within 7 business days.

I certainly won't be mad at Amex if they don't allow me the better sign up bonus (in fact, I was happy to just be approved), but it seems like it couldn't hurt to try. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and, if so, what was the outcome?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Whoops! Does Amex match sign up bonuses?

If they do, I'll be super shocked. They've not been known to match at all in the past.
Message 2 of 11
willwar14
Valued Contributor

I've seen one successful case of them matching an offer, rest are denials, GL though..
CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Kenny wrote:
If they do, I'll be super shocked. They've not been known to match at all in the past.

Exactly, that's been pretty much the standard with AmEx.  Don't hold your breath OP but if they do match the offer consider yourself lucky.

Message 4 of 11
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... good luck. Smiley Wink 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 5 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I've had no luck with it.  Chase, on the other hand, always seems to be willing to do so.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought with an RSVP code they were pretty good about matching, vs just an offer that you found online. I may be mistaken though.
Message 7 of 11
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I usually hear about people getting denied, give it a try and report the results back here. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not 100% sure if they will match a signup bonus, however I do know they will extend the timeframe of a signup bonus. I was still early on into my rebuilding stage when I was approved for my Hilton Surpass, and was only granted a SL of 1K. Not wanting to run it up close to the limit, I called in to customer service when I only had run 2.1K through it at the end of my 3 months, explained my situation, and asked for an extra month. The frontline CSR had no issues in granting that extension and I was able to meet my spend requirement for the bonus. So... It really never hurts to ask!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck Jay!  But I doubt it will happen.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.