Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoops. Over limit on my Chase (WAMU) Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whoops. Over limit on my Chase (WAMU) Card

But it is new on my account...that was my point.

Chase has never given me immediate credit on ACH payments.  And prior to this OL, they have never authorize a charge that went beyond limit.

Message 21 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Maybe (before your OL) they had changed your card to a more grown-up internal program?

That would make me nervous, though. Sort of feels like luring, if I wanted to be paranoid. * Here, kitty, kitty, kitty * (as I attempt to load the cat into the car for a trip to the vet)
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 08-08-2009 06:14 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

For all the happy talk of 'being human and to errr is human', etc. the fact of the matter is there are darn few reasons to ever go over your CL, just as there are few valid reasons to overdraw a checking account.  This is especially true with the ease of being able to check and pay online on a 24/7 basis.  Why should you even approach a CL before knowing what is happening?  I lived overseas in Saudi Arabia in the 80's and in Australia in the 90's (before the Internet) and the only way I could keep up with AMEX/Visa/MC on a timely basis was to call them right after the statement date, get the balance, and get a check in the mail so it would get there before the due date.  It was a bit easier with AMEX as I could shuffle down to the AMEX office and pay there.  It took managing but I never went over a CL, and never missed a payment deadline.  Paying a $39 charge would gall me no end, it's a pure waste of money.  And in todays environment it is never good to draw attention to yourself by overdrawing accounts or missing payments.  Many people complain about the treatment they get from the CC companies, but many times they have contributed to that action.  This isn't to beat up on txjohn, but as a sophisticated user of credit it is a mistake only a rookie should make before learning his or her lesson.. 
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL. 

My new nickname...."rookie"    Smiley Very Happy

Just a few stats.

- This card happens to be the main AU card (DW and 4 of the 6 kids).

- This card happens to also have several recurring bills and is the family gas & grocery card

- This card was almost $700 under CL and statement drop was next Tuesday.

- My scheduled PIF was yesterday to PIF prior to statement.

- An unscheduled charge, previously an unknown amount, for kids school related charged a week early for nearly $700

- Chase has never authorized a charge over limit before.

- I discovered the Over Limit within 12 hours of occurring and PIF immediately.

- I have adjusted useages of this card to keep it at least $1500 under CL at all times.

Message 24 of 30
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I'm the only one who uses my credit cards so there is no doubt where I stand vis a vis the limit. when other people use the card it complicates matters a bit. I am now bare bones as far as cards go. I have only 4 cards with decent limits and I never use more than 9% of the limit. I check my accounts twice a day but hey I have no life. LOL. Even the best err.
Message 25 of 30
score_building
Senior Contributor

i'm pretty sure it could happen to the best of us, but i could be wrong.

in any case, that you also mention tx, two additional x's where the acct was presented with OL charges is not a good thing.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not good, but has happened on a couple occassions when the card had 6 separate users.

Message 27 of 30
score_building
Senior Contributor

understandable.  i can barely handle my cards w/o any AUs to keep track of-

i like your almost instant response time to prevent future occurrences.  one of my favorite features of internet banking is that any issues can be caught & addressed v. quickly.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also updated my "ALERTS" settings so that I get email and cell phone messages when:

1.  My balance reaches a certain level

2.  A charge above a certain amount

3.  I have less than a certain amount of remaining credit available

I also am moving phone, electric and cell recurring auto pays to another card.

Message 29 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, a cardholder plus 5 AU's has to be a lot like herding cats. Will that many folks with access, I'm amazed that it hasn't happened before.

And we do love those school charges (and soccer team charges, and on and on) that come out of nowhere at times.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.